Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville

Posted by csawala on 16/5/2011 at 20:27

I will be in Phu Quoc for 5-6days mid-August, and debating whether I should fly back to Ho Chi Minh and bus it to Sihanoukville , or whether there is an option for a ferry straight to Sihanoukville and bypass having to go back to mainland Vietnam...
If I do fly back, what are the options like for buses to Cambodia, ideally a straight shot bus to Sihanoukville...

Also, I plan on getting my visa here in Japan (where I am currently living until the end of July, when my travels begin) and that way I don't have to worry so much about getting a visa issued on arrival...

#1 csawala has been a member since 21/4/2011. Posts: 13

Posted by eastwest on 17/5/2011 at 04:29

There certainly is no need to fly all the way back to HCMC but I don't think the direct ferry from Phu Quoc to Shv, of which there is a lot of talk, will be running either.

Best, shortest, cheapest and easiest way is to go via Ha Tien . From Phu Quoc there is a ferry to Ha Tien and a bus service to Shv is available as well. You can buy an all-inclusive ticket on Phu Quoc for both ferry and bus.

No need to get visa beforehand for Cambodia. It's very easy to get one at the border crossing.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 17/5/2011 at 08:52

Posted from within Vietnam.

Exactly as E/W says.Get a morning ferry from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien ,it leaves at 08.00-08.30, and takes about 2 hours.There is then a bus(currently a minibus) which leaves Ha Tien at about 12.30,(sometimes a bit later,depending on its arrival time from Cambodia) This goes to Kep, Kampot and finally Sihanoukville. Usually it will get there about 17.00.If you buy a through ticket in Phu Quoc,you get a transfer from the ferry port in Ha Tien to the office where the bus leaves from,included in the price.It's usually quite a straightforward trip,the border isn't usually busy and getting a Cambodian visa is very quick

#3 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 112
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.