Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc to Sihanoukville

• csawala

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2011

I will be in Phu Quoc for 5-6days mid-August, and debating whether I should fly back to Ho Chi Minh and bus it to Sihanoukville , or whether there is an option for a ferry straight to Sihanoukville and bypass having to go back to mainland Vietnam...
    If I do fly back, what are the options like for buses to Cambodia, ideally a straight shot bus to Sihanoukville...

Also, I plan on getting my visa here in Japan (where I am currently living until the end of July, when my travels begin) and that way I don't have to worry so much about getting a visa issued on arrival...

#1 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 20:27

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

There certainly is no need to fly all the way back to HCMC but I don't think the direct ferry from Phu Quoc to Shv, of which there is a lot of talk, will be running either.

Best, shortest, cheapest and easiest way is to go via Ha Tien . From Phu Quoc there is a ferry to Ha Tien and a bus service to Shv is available as well. You can buy an all-inclusive ticket on Phu Quoc for both ferry and bus.

No need to get visa beforehand for Cambodia. It's very easy to get one at the border crossing.

#2 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 04:29

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

Exactly as E/W says.Get a morning ferry from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien ,it leaves at 08.00-08.30, and takes about 2 hours.There is then a bus(currently a minibus) which leaves Ha Tien at about 12.30,(sometimes a bit later,depending on its arrival time from Cambodia) This goes to Kep, Kampot and finally Sihanoukville. Usually it will get there about 17.00.If you buy a through ticket in Phu Quoc,you get a transfer from the ferry port in Ha Tien to the office where the bus leaves from,included in the price.It's usually quite a straightforward trip,the border isn't usually busy and getting a Cambodian visa is very quick

#3 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 08:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to go to Phu Quoc from Sihanoukville? ... By pdropl on 26 Oct 2013 4 651 27 Oct 2013
Phu quoc or Sihanoukville ... By bascanvas on 22 Jan 2013 10 4273 27 Apr 2013