Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

5 hours in Hanoi, worth leaving the airport?

• Dazmar

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2011

I fly into Hanoi 1:10pm and then catch a flight to Luang Prabang at 6:30pm the same day. Would there be enough time to leave the airport and have a look around Hanoi? I am told I have to get a visa anyway so would like to have a look around. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 10:43

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

You have to get a visa anyway? What a pain! In that case I would say yes! But it will be a rush. However, even the drive into Hanoi is an experience. The cheapest way would be to take the Vietnam Airlines bus to it's drop off, and from there you can do a walking circuit up along Hoan Kiem Lake and round Old Quarter then back along the other side of the lake, through the French Quarter and back to Vietnam Airlines for the bus back. It would be quite a lot of walking though so you might prefer to take a cyclo ride around for an hour or just wander a bit and then find a nice cafe to sit in and watch life in Hanoi pass by.

#2 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 14:14

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

What a waste! Just a few hours in one of Asia's nicest places.

#3 Posted: 20/5/2011 - 00:35

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Well said. I'm interested though Dazmar - who are you flying with that you transfer through Hanoi? I thought it was one of the least useful airports.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2011 - 07:58

• Dazmar

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2011

Flying from Australia to Luang Prabang, Laos. Using frequent flyer points to Hanoi then flight from Hanoi to Luang prabang with Lao airlines. Basically it was the cheapest way to get there and the flying times were only a few hours different to other options

#5 Posted: 20/5/2011 - 12:14

• tival

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2010

if i were you,i will just stay at airport because you will not have enough time to see Hanoi ,.
    It takes you at least 45mins from airport to center then back, so total nearly 2 hours, and you must be at airport 2 hours before your flight to check in.
    So no time to see Hanoi anyway.

#6 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 09:26

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's a hard one... I'd be tempted to try and escape and head to the lake /Old Quarter area for a quick squiz around.

But..,. are you sure you need a visa? You usually don't at most airports if you are in transit, and don't actually go through immigration. Maybe check with the airline that is taking you to Hanoi.

#7 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 10:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I don't think you'll be able to leave the airport anyway.

I had a four hour lay over in Ho Chi Minh a few years ago and I'm pretty certain I didn't pay for a visa... though if I remember right they did put a transit stamp on a brand new page of my passport rather than using a half empty page.

Bring a decent book!

#8 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 13:12

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Not enough anyway. 2 days are ok, or at least 1 day. just several hours will lead you to no where beautiful or worthy to see in Hanoi, except going to Trang Tien street for famous Trang Tien Ice-cream

#9 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 22:24

• jonyd1

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2010

I agree with the not enough time posts. Figure a couple hours getting to and from the airport, plus arriving at the airport with enough time to check in and make your flight - a lot of hassle to take a quick walk around a couple streets in Hanoi. I say save it for a whole trip - it's worth it :-)

#10 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 22:22

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Leaving Baggage in HCMC airport ... By keatherley on 5 Apr 2009 0 1904 5 Apr 2009
Do I need a transit vist if I am not leaving the airport? ... By Katie_F on 4 Aug 2011 3 3442 6 Aug 2011
Flight at 6 AM, reaching changi airport at midnight, how to kill 4 hours. ... By ashokSPB on 11 Aug 2010 3 4366 2 Nov 2010