Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Airport pick-up by a hotel

• kyuyori

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Hey guys.

I'll be traveling in Vietnam in June and booked an inexpensive hotel in the Old Quarter. They offered to pick me up at the airport for $20 USD (5-seat vehicle) or $25 (7-seat vehicle), as there are many scams at the airport and this would be safe and convenient.

Looking around, this fare sounds rather steep and I was wondering if taking a No.17 bus and using any other method of transportation would be more prudent.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 06:34

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Define inexpensive? Inexpensive in the West is expensive in Asia! The average price for this service is about $15., but this rate will increase with the cost of your room. I use the 3* Art Hotel in Hanoi ($35.-45.) and they charge $15. or $16. for pickup.

Regardless of the cost, it's far better than being scammed by a cabbie. If you arrive in daylight hours, you have the option of using one of the 3 airport shuttle services for approx. $2. (they deliver to a central location in the Old Quarter, but not to individual hotels for that price). Hanoi Airport is the worst airport in VN for cabs and scams!

#2 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 08:22

• kyuyori

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2011

Thanks for the reply.

I booked Thaison Grand Hotel at $30 USD/night. Based on what you said, their pick-up rate doesn't seem to be too bad. I guess it boils down to whether I want convenience that $20 will bring me vs airport shuttle.

#3 Posted: 23/5/2011 - 09:23

• Southam

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

This is a late response, but let me add a tip. Yes, a $15 private driver from your hotel is worth it after a long flight when you are hardly at your best to fend off taxi touts. But on my last landing in Hanoi, the driver wasn't there. I headed for the information kiosk in the airport lobby, and showed my hotel reservation. The agent clearly had lots of experience with this situation and was on the phone immediately. By the time I had finished using the ATM, the driver arrived offering apologies and lame excuses, then rushed me directly to the hotel with no delay.

#4 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 21:07

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Another late response... prices of taxis jumped up a few months ago due to high inflation and in particular the increasing price of petrol. Last I knew the marked price at the official taxi ranks was 315,000VND (about $15) for a 4 seater car but if you book in advance from someone like Hanoi Airport Transfer (very good) it's 360,000 VND ($18) - they'll wait for you with a name board. Many hotels charge $25+ so $20 is a mid-range price.

#5 Posted: 28/7/2011 - 14:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.