Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa trip

• jane101

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2011

Hey,
    I have just moved to Hanoi and want to go to Sapa for a long weekend. I don't really want to do an organised tour so I have a few questions.
    How do I get a sleeper train ticket?. They all seem to be sold through travel agencies and hotels.Is there a Vietnamese trains website where I can buy one?
    What class sleeper would you recommend? I want comfort and cleanliness but I don't need luxury
    Is it easy to get from Lau Cai to Sapa? How much should I expect to pay?
    Is it in fact better/ cheaper to do an organised tour?
    Thanks a million

#1 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 11:53

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Jane. Welcome to Hanoi! You can buy tickets at the train station. It's usually easier to go to B station (where the trains to Lao Cai leave from) as I've found the queues to be much shorter. Don't go around lunchtime or in the evening (when the trains leave) though as it's shut / busy. You can buy up to about 3 weeks in advance so get them as soon as you can.

Alternatively, if you want to go on the Livitrains private carriage you can buy online (www.livitrantrain.com). Their carriages are of course nicer but I've found the standard carriages to be perfectly OK, and it's only about a 9 hour trip. I'd go for soft sleeper - not much more than hard sleeper but a bit nicer (less people in a carriage).

There are loads of minibuses from Lao Cai to Sapa so very easy. Last time I went (last October) it was 30,000 oneway. Look out for the "official" ticket desk on the station platform. Or if you've booked a hotel in advance they will probably arrange it for you and have someone with a board with your name on waiting.

I don't think there is any benefit to doing an organised tour as you can easily book a hotel, find places to eat and organise tours. Let me know if you need any further information.

#2 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 13:28

• jane101

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2011

Thanks very much. That is really helpful

#3 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 14:42

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Don't forget to go to Bac Ha Market on your way. But be careful with the price the sellers there say. Make a negotiation for the reasonable price

#4 Posted: 30/5/2011 - 20:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.