Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi - Beijing Train

• jonny_lewis-

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2011

Hitting Thailand > Laos > Cambodia > Vietnam from September onwards, and just crossed my mind that I may well be in Hanoi towards the end of January 2012. It also came to my attention today that Chinese New Year is February 3rd 2012, and sounds awesome!
    So obviously, just wondering if anybody has made the trip from North Vietnam to Beijing by train and has any information about price, length, tolerance etc? Plane stories also welcome, but I just figured immediately that it would cost more.

Also, would people here recommend Beijing or Hong Kong? Obviously it would be easier and cheaper to get to Hong Kong from Hanoi but would it be as grand an occasion as I'm sure Beijing would deliver?
    Keep on truckin'.

#1 Posted: 3/6/2011 - 04:26

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Actually, that's the 2011 Tet date (2012 is Jan 23rd). You could well have problems then since prices usually double and transport is near impossible unless you have reservations.

I haven't taken the train, but I do know that it's actually at least 2 trains. The Viet train only goes to the border, you have to leave the train and walk across the border, and then board another Chinese train. I also believe that train is not daily, and that the bus service is much faster and better. The situation seems to be constantly changing, and at the present time the two countries are having territorial disputes (just cross your fingers that a small war doesn't develop).

#2 Posted: 6/6/2011 - 11:08

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

It takes about 48 hours I believe and absolutely agree regarding the problems you might have getting tickets at Tet. But I plan to do the trip one day - I might just break it up a bit.

#3 Posted: 6/6/2011 - 17:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Beijing - Hanoi train ... By eirie on 24 Feb 2008 3 3690 25 Feb 2008