Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

21 Days - HCMC to Hanoi

• drewtheshmoo

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2011

Hi everyone,
    i'm planning on spending 21 days travelling from Chau Doc up to Hanoi , where i'll get a connecting flight back to bangkok.

i've highlighted the places that i really want to visit but i'm concerned that having done that, on average it only leaves me with 2 days in each place, which, for some places is a little less than i'd've liked. I thought about spending a few days in Nha Trang unwinding after a couple of weeks of Bangkok to HCMC overland, and maybe spending more time in Hanoi at the back end of the trip also. Places i'd like to go are: HCMC, Dalat, Miu Ne, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay.

so, what i'm asking really is what are people's suggestions of the `must see` places, and maybe some places that are only worth a day and are more of a quick stop over. i'd like to see a combination of the culture, the people, the war and the temples...usual stuff i expect!

anyway, any help would be muchly appreciated. I'm i trying to fit in too much?

thanks

drew

#1 Posted: 7/6/2011 - 05:46

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I did a trip of a similar length in Vietnam 8 years ago and went to all the places on your list except Mui Ne . I had an amazing trip and didn't feel it was too rushed (although I did it again last year and took 5 weeks and could have spent longer!). However, if you want to focus your time a bit more (you asked for personal opinions so here are mine) you could skip Nha Trang and Mui Ne (unless you want to do water sports or snorkelling / surfing or are looking for a party) and unwind in Hoi An instead. And if you're not stopping there you could also miss Dalat and then save time by flying from HCMC to Danang. Assuming you are going to be travelling through the Mekong (from Chau Doc) you'll get a good mix of places - except you won't see any highlands / mountain areas.

#2 Posted: 7/6/2011 - 13:53

• drewtheshmoo

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2011

Thanks for that, i'd not considered shooting straight up to Danang. I'll give it some thought. I reckon i could free up about a week if i go straight from HCMC to Danang.

thanks

#3 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 04:30

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Day 1; Ho chi minh arrival
    2&3: Ho chi minh city tour
    4:Ho Chiminh - Cu chi
    5. Ho Chi Minh- Nhatrang
    6. Nha Trang
    7. Nha Trang
    8. Nha Trang flight to Danang, Hoian
    9, Hoian-Myson
    10, Hoian
    11. Hoian
    12. Hoian- Hue
    13. Hue
    14. Hue- Hanoi
    15. hanoi
    16. Hanoi-Hoa Lu-Tam coc
    17. Hanoi-Halong Bay
    18. Halong bay-Hanoi- night train to slao cai
    19. Sapa visit ( cat cat village)
    20. sapa visit (Ta Phin village-sillver waterfall)
    21. Sapa visit (lao chai-Ta van village)
    22. Hanoi rrival about 5h00

#4 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 19:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hanoi to HCMC 18 days ... By jessia on 22 Mar 2010 6 1855 23 Mar 2010
12 days, hanoi to hcmc ... By kellipoop on 24 Sep 2010 10 1743 30 Sep 2010
12 days from HCMC to Hanoi ... By boobookitty on 18 Jun 2012 5 2384 7 Jul 2012
Motorbike NW loop then hanoi to hcmc in 28 days? ... By shing on 11 Aug 2011 5 3669 26 Aug 2011