Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Visiting HCMC in October

• dkynyc

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2011

Hi Guys, I am a visiting Vietnam October 1st and would like to get some suggestions on places I should visit. I'll be in HCMC October 3rd to the 22 and was wondering if I can make it all the way to Hanoi and back to HCMC for a flight out? Any suggestions would be great, also any methods of travel that you would recommend.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 10:10

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Here is a quick reply before I race home...

I think you could cover key spots reasonably comfortably if you are prepared to fly one or two of the long hauls, and maybe take the odd overnight bus/train. My suggestions would be to pick and choose from the following (depending on what interests you):

HCMC - 2-3 days
    Mekong Delta area - 3 days **
    Dalat - 2-3 days - cooler mountain air, interesting little town that I enjoyed, but not too much in way of touristy things.
    Mui Nue or Nha Trang (if you want a bit of beach time) - 2- 3 days
    Hoi An - 3-4 days ** (there is a nice near by, spend more time here and skip the beaches mentioned above)
    Hue - 2-3 days if you are into old temples, and/or want a trip to DMZ
    Sapa - 3-4 days if you want to see villages and/or do some trekking (haven't been there yet myself)
    Hanoi - 2-3 days **
    Halong Bay cruise - 2-3 days (3d/2n is best option)

The ones marked with '**' are probably the 'must see' options, in my opinion. The others depends on what your interests are. The times that I have indicated are minimum - few places and more time is always better.

I would suggest you fly to avoid particularly long 12+ hr bu srides:
    - Hue - Hanoi (to avoid 12+ hour busride)
    - Into or out of Danang (near Hoi An) - depending on where you are coming from.
    - Hanoi - HCMC

My ultimate suggestion would be to do an Easy Rider tour around the Mekong Delta area as a minimum, and/or through Central Highlands (ie to Dalat). I did this area as a 9-day trip and it was the best thing I have could have done!

#2 Posted: 8/6/2011 - 11:56

• dkynyc

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2011

Thanks busylizzy, will do more research on the sites you mentioned. Do you think it you could make it back to HCMC from Hanoi in one day via plane? Really don't like planes but if it gets the job done, I'll take it.

#3 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 10:32

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Hi dky,

The flight from HCMC to Hanoi is less than 2 hours as I recall, so that won't take more than half a day total. To save even more time you could fly the long leg from Hanoi to Hue , or if you wanted to skip Hue then Hanoi to Da Nang (near Hoi An). A train or bus from Hanoi to Hue or Da Nang will take the better part of a day.

Busylizzy's advice is spot on in my opinion, although Sapa was a highlight for me and if you'll be making the trip all the way up to Hanoi anyway I'd suggest Sapa if you enjoy fog rolling over majestic mountains and hill tribe life, etc.

Anyway, for flights within Vietnam you'll want to search www.jetstar.com.

Good luck.

#4 Posted: 9/6/2011 - 11:17

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Travel by air or train through Vietnam, from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh, stops in Hanoi, Hai Phong, Hue, Danang. Nha Trang, Phuc Quoc, Ho Chi Minh. Travel by your self or by a travel agency arrangement.

#5 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 17:23

• dan__spearm-
    an

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Great advice from Lizzy. Just a couple of things I'd like to add. We're in Ninh Binh (an inland Halong Bay) at the moment and would definitely recommend a stop. It's only a few hours away from Hanoi anyway.

Also, if you don't want to fly, we met some people who were travelling from Hanoi down to HCMC by bus. They bought an open ticket and could stop off along the way for no extra cost(Ninh Binh, Hue, Danang, etc) and it was 700,000 VND(35 USD) which seems a good way to go to me.

We've just been around Sa Pa and done the North West loop, amazing place, don't miss it! If you want to get an idea we're putting stuff up on our blog at http://dabby-in-asia.blogspot.com/. Let us know if you've got any questions.

#6 Posted: 18/6/2011 - 12:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
25/M visiting Thailand in October. Need buddies ... By koolguitarist on 27 Jul 2011 0 1293 27 Jul 2011
Guy visiting October 2011 Thailand/Cambodia ... By loadabowl69 on 29 Jun 2011 0 1674 29 Jun 2011