Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

1 month in Vietnam South-North Itinerary! Is it any good?

• Peachula

Joined Travelfish
    7th June, 2011

Okay, so I am a 20 yr old female from Canada traveling solo through Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and ending in Thailand. This is my first ever backpacking trip and after much searching the culture, beauty and excitement of SEA has drawn me in. I don't want to miss out on anything and have been doing a TON of researching (amazing help from this site, especially) so if anyone could help me out, I have a general itinerary planned out. I will be heading to HCMC last week of September and arriving back home just before Christmas.
    I plan on a month in Vietnam, 2 weeks in Laos, 2 weeks in Cambodia and a month in Thailand.
    Kay, so my (rough) itinerary is:
    Arrive HCMC (2 Days) - then one day tour of Mekong Delta (total of 3 days)
    HCMC -> (4h Bus) Mui Ne (2 days)
    Mui Ne -> (6h Bus) Dalat (2 days) [Is Dalat actually worth it? Everything I've read basically pans out to 50/50 a 'must see' or a 'can skip'. So I'm a little iffy if I should spend 2 days here or use these days somewhere else, or maybe just 1 day? It also uses up a lot of travel time as opposed to just going from Mui Ne to Nha Trang ]
    Dalat -> (5h Bus) Nha Trang (2 days)
    Nha Trang -> (15h overnight Bus) Hoi An (3 days)
    Hoi An -> (15h o/n Bus) Hue (2 days)
    Hue -> (14h o/n Bus or 13h sleeper Train) Hanoi (3 days)
    Hanoi -> (2h Bus) Halong/Cat Ba (2 days)
    Halong -> (2h Bus) Hanoi
    Hanoi -> (10h sleeper train) Lao Cai -> (1h bus) Sapa (3 days)
    Sapa -> (1h Bus) Lao Cai -> Hanoi
    [At which point I'll probably be flying in to Vientiane]

I'll be traveling for about 4.5 days and the rest adds up to approx. 22 days which leaves about 3 days of issues allowed Visa-wise, haha.
    I want to know if this is a decent itinerary or if it should use some tweaking.
    I also was wondering if I get a 30 day visa for Vietnam and I'm doing a 3 month trip how do I fly back to HCMC to get back home, is it okay that I don't have a visa as long as it's straight from Thailand to HCMC then home?
    And transport-wise I am planning on just booking bus/train tickets as I go but is this possible or will I have to book some early?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

#1 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 12:05

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That looks allright.

Personally I would skip Dalat. The place didn't do much for me besides the (cool)climate but since it's at the start of your trip probably not needed. Don't get me wrong: The place has many things going for it but I'd rather spend those extra days as buffer to spend some more time in a place you might like along the way.

For a single traveller Mui Ne may not be the greatest place. Nha Trang is far more social. I do prefer the beach in Mui Ne though.

have fun

#2 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 13:20

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm not a big Dalat fan either. The only thing that made the trip worth it for me was the scenery, but you're going to Sapa and the scenery there is more impressive. I also agree with eastwest about Mui Ne / Nha Trang too. So nothing to add but reinforcement is often useful!

#3 Posted: 10/6/2011 - 13:56

• mysticpaki

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2006

Dear Peachula
    I added 22 days as per what youve written so how do you add up 45 days in Vietnam.
    I plan to also spend 28 nights in Vietnam but in end June.
    If youve fine tuned your above itenary then do let me know please along with names and price of hotels.
    By the way i spent 24 nights in Laos and have written a full detailed itenary so if you want let me know your email and ill mail it to you.Its on www.Teakdoor and also on travelfish.
    I have been very often to Thailand so if you want to ask me anything go ahead.
    Regds
    Eddie

#4 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 04:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam north and south itinerary 1 month help please ... By nono on 18 Sep 2014 10 965 6 Nov 2014
North to south Vietnam itinerary. Thoughts please ... By Brooker6139 on 4 Oct 2012 7 6843 16 Oct 2012
Itinerary Critique - Vietnam South to North in 6 days ... By camsydt on 3 May 2013 8 2412 12 May 2013
A month in Laos - stay in the North or head down South? ... By christay2009 on 22 Jun 2009 33 6362 19 Sep 2009
One month North to South trip with 3 smallish children?! ... By snllfamily on 6 Feb 2007 2 3828 6 Feb 2007
23 Day VN Itinerary - North to South ... By Rubixx on 4 Jul 2011 7 3625 10 Sep 2011
3 weeks: from north to south itinerary (and Angkor?) ... By Dimas on 22 Jul 2014 1 532 23 Jul 2014
North to South Vietnam to BKK ... By James90 on 28 Apr 2012 9 3207 14 Jun 2012
Good story on Bai Tu Long and far north Vietnam ... By somtam2000 on 6 Mar 2008 1 1646 10 Mar 2008
Vietnam in February - North to South ... By dipesh16 on 27 Sep 2010 0 1417 27 Sep 2010