Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

HOW LONG DO I NEED

• emily2310

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

Hey, I am going travelling at beginning of Oct, I actually have 6 months in Asia. I was going to start in North Thailand, Chaing Mai etc, I would like to go to laos, Vietnam and Cambodia where I hope to do some volunteering work in Phnom Penh.
    I want to be back in Southern Thailand by late Dec as I am meeting friends, from then on I have plenty of time. So am not fussed if I have to rush this first part of journey, as in it not being to relaxing, I just don't want to miss out. Is 8 weeks enough for me to travel round and see most things, I will then have my 3 weeks in Phnom Penh Cambodia, but will only have the weekends to really get out and about.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Em. x

#1 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 16:06

• Advertisement

• gatvietnam

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

1 week in Vietnam, you can go through Vietnam from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh city or vice verse. visit all World heritages of Vietnam recognized by UNESCO like Halong Bay, Hoian old town or enjoy Ca tru, Quan Ho, Nha Nhac Hue...

#2 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 18:28

• trobs

Joined Travelfish
    24th January, 2011

I was in Vietnam for 5 weeks last time and felt that I only saw a fraction of it. If you have 6 months then there's no need to rush, just figure it out when you get here

#3 Posted: 16/6/2011 - 21:23

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

One week from North to South Vietnam? Seriously?

So, you have 8 weeks to cover Northern Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos? Of course, how rushed you are depends on what you try to do! But that gives you a couple of weeks in each area and if you don't mind travelling around a lot you'll still get to see some amazing stuff. Maybe Northern Thailand to Northern-ish Laos then fly to Hanoi (if budget permits, otherwise it's the lengthy bus journey), travel south then into Cambodia and back to Bangkok.

You will need to be reasonably organised if you only have 8 weeks, but pinpoint the must see places, sketch out a rough itinerary and then go with the flow, adjusting as you need to.

#4 Posted: 17/6/2011 - 09:45

• jultrip

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

If you need any tips while in Vietnam, let me know, working here and travelling around Asia.

#5 Posted: 20/6/2011 - 11:43

• emily2310

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

Thank you all for your answers. x

#6 Posted: 21/6/2011 - 20:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.