Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Questions about trekking Sapa (hotel and backpack)

Posted by amarie on 2/7/2011 at 23:57

Hello,

I'm going to be trekking in Sapa in Mid-July and am wondering if I need to book a hotel in advance. If so, are there any suggestions? I've heard good things about the Cat Cat Hotel and am wondering if anyone can verify this choice. Also, if I plan on staying for three or so days, should I get a hotel for one night and then head off on a trek? Is an overnight stay in a village worthwhile or necessary? Should I just use my small day pack for an overnight stay in a village? It seems like carrying one's whole backpack would be difficult considering the terrain. If I were to leave my backpack behind, is there a good place to store it that one can recommend?

I know this seems like a lot of questions but I have never done something like this before. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

#1 amarie has been a member since 2/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by swag on 3/7/2011 at 07:37

Hi stayed at the Cat Cat View hotel June 10, for 4 nights.Not to be confused with Cat Cat Hotel. Really enjoyed our stay. No need to pay extra for top floor middle level has the same excellent views. Very good food there from the Black Hmong chefs. Organized our 2 daily treks throught the hotel. Paid a little more for a guide and just the two of us rather than a larger group. If you want to do a homestay just leave your main pack at the hotel, no charge.Personally wasn't all that sold on the Homestays as it seemed a bit contrived but maybe that's just me.Definitely see Sapa as the views are stunning great food to be had on the main street and would definitely go back.
Hope that helps
swag

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331

Posted by nguyentmdt on 11/7/2011 at 16:10

Posted from within Vietnam.

i'm going to Sapa in july or august 2011- the second time i go. tell me how much budget would you spent, how many people... and I'll give u some info about hotels, places... If you're a girl and travel alone, you shouldn't stay in village, it's quite dangerous ^^. you can contact me via email: nguyentmdt@gmail.com

#3 nguyentmdt has been a member since 11/7/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.