Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta

• Vero123

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

Hello everybody,

we are 2 people and we are going to arrive to HCMC by train at 5a.m on the July 19 th and to leave the HCMC in the moring of the 21st of July (to continue our trip to Combodia) .
    We'd like to spent our 2 days in this place visiting the Delta of Mekong. I spent a lot of time in the internet trying to find the best way to do it, but I didn't succeded.
    What it the best way?
    I found 2 types of organised tours 2 days/1 night in the delta. One type is about 170 USD per person and other type is about 35 USD per person. Is it possible? What price is real?

Or may be it's better to go the on our own? But I don't really know how. I know that we can take a bus from HCMC to Cai Be but what to do after that?

All your advices are wellcome (and sorry for my English, I live in France and I hope that you understood my message)

#1 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 06:15

• Advertisement

• JasonB

Click here to learn more about JasonB
    Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

I found 2 types of organised tours 2 days/1 night in the delta. One type is about 170 USD per person and other type is about 35 USD per person. Is it possible? What price is real?

Both of them are real. The first one is private tour, and the other one is joining tour. Yes, you can do it on your own. How about exploring the mekong by motorbikes? If you are interested in then you can drop me a line. You can also explore the mekong by bus which is easy to use. You can take a Mai Linh bus to get to any province in the Mekong. but with only 1 night and two days, I suggest you visiting Can Tho to see floating market then head to Chau Doc or somewhere else around there. Hope you have a nice trip. Tell me if anything else I could help
    Cheers.

#2 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 09:30

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Regarding doing it on your own - we wanted to do this as we were travelling through the Mekong to get from HCMC to Phnom Penh. However, what I discovered was that it was cheaper to take a one day tour (we paid about $10) and then just not get the bus back to HCMC than it was to take a bus. Well, maybe taking the bus was a couple of dollars cheaper but if you go on a tour you get the other bits thrown in.

Anyway, having been dropped off in My Tho we then spent a night there, then had an uncomfortable yet entertaining journey to Can Tho then went onto Chau Doc.

To be honest, if you've only got 2 days I'd suggest an organised tour or maybe a motorbike (but I don't know if I'd want to drive there by bike)

#3 Posted: 7/7/2011 - 14:09

• Vero123

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

Thank you for your replies.

I found one tour that could be interesting, because it end and Phnom Penh. About 51 USD per person. That seems OK.
    But the gay I contacted by mail requested 100% by western union. Is it a normal practice? I'm afraid a little. In the other hand I have really a very little time in Vietnam and I have no time to visit different agencies looking for an other tour.
    I'll have 1 day in HCMC and the next morning I want to go to this delta's trip. Will it be possible to find a tour for "tomorrow"?
    What possibility is better? TO pay in advance or to try to find something else in the last morning?

#4 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 14:57

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

In Vietnam I found you get what you pay for. Some of the tours are incredibly cheap, but my understanding is that don't necessarily give good customer satisfaction. If you can afford a bit more, I would spend more. These trips tend to still be very good value for money.

We spent a few days in the Delta, but travelled the area independently, so cannot help there. However, we used Handspan in other parts of the country for a couple of short trips and found them to be very good. I assume they do trips to the Delta. Others on here will hopefully give some other suggestions of reputable companies. In my view, if time is very short, book before you arrive.

#5 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 17:14

• violets

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 28

Travelling on your own is likely to take longer and will not save you money. With your short time a tour looks good. There are several that go to Chau Doc. I would go to Can Tho as well for two very different places and experiences.

#6 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 06:35

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Vero, I wouldn't pay 100% up front. Given that you are only a few days away, I would either offer to pay a 10% deposit up front, or better yet, drag it out with them and say that you will pay when you arrive in town. Claim 'internet' problems or some such thing. The second option also buys you more time to have a look at alternatives once you get to HCMC, and to actually go to the office to get a better 'feel' for the tour company.

#7 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 18:09

• romeogolf

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2011
    Location Canada

I did this trip with a friend in May using TNK Travel in Saigon. Given the backroads we cycled through and the locals we met along the way, it wasn't something you could do independently unless you spoke Vietnamese.

Most of our meals were Vietnamese, although we did have Western-type options available at breakfast at the local hotels in Can Tho and Chau Doc. At the homestay in Cai Be, it was strictly Vietnamese, which was delicious! I even enjoyed the durian from the orchard behind the house.

If you are interested in my experiences, I wrote an article and have some photos on Flickr.

#8 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 10:20

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I did this trip 2 weeks ago and I booked in Vietnam and only paid $19 for 2 days 1 night, it included all of the transport, meals, tea, fruit etc and we got to see and do a lot within the 2 days. I wasn't expecting a lot for the price but it far exceeded my expectations, the hotel we stayed at was surprisingly nice and clean, and the food that was included was nice as well.

There was an option to change the end so that you could go straight onto Cambodia, although I returned back to HCMC. There were a few people from the group going to Cambodia and it was well organised and someone told them where to go and when and took them to the other bus.

I think the name of the company was Viet Travel in district 1 of HCMC but I can't remember the street, although I don't think it's important to go here as all of the travel agents offer the same trip for a similar price (you can barter as well) and they all end up going with the same companies. So if I was you I'd wait until you arrive in HCMC before you book it, as you can book it at 9.30pm at night to go the following morning if you wish. Good luck.

#9 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 17:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mekong Delta ... By OregonDuck541 on 30 May 2014 2 383 31 May 2014
Ben Tre Mekong Delta ... By oscarcat on 27 Jan 2010 0 3350 27 Jan 2010
Mekong Delta - Sa Dec ... By rdavout on 13 Sep 2008 0 2987 13 Sep 2008
Mekong Delta ... By mrbangkok on 26 Oct 2009 1 2470 26 Oct 2009
mekong delta help ... By uktravelman on 3 Oct 2009 1 2414 4 Oct 2009
Mekong Delta ... By dutoy on 26 Feb 2007 1 2722 5 Mar 2007
B&B in Can Tho (Mekong Delta) ... By naturemekong on 7 Nov 2008 1 3128 7 Nov 2008
Mekong Delta ... By brinner on 28 Sep 2006 15 4212 29 Nov 2006
Mekong Delta - doing it on your own ... By pjsolomon76 on 27 Feb 2009 5 6436 18 Mar 2009
Mekong Delta during TET ... By sportie23 on 23 Oct 2012 5 2326 1 Nov 2012