Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Sapa in January?

• Joey82

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

Hi,

I will be travelling South through Vietnam next year and will be in Hanoi around late January. I was really looking forward to going upto Sapa but only just read about the climate and it sounds really cold at this time in the north. Has anyone been there in January? If it's going to be really cold i will probably give it a miss as i don't have room in my backpack for winter jacket! Please can someone advise : )

#1 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 03:12

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Jan weather in Sapa is really quite unpredictable, except that it probably won't be too warm! I've been there in March and also Oct - warm to mild with a great deal of fog. I suggest using those new tech layers that skiers use - snow is pretty rare, but it's not unknown. Also, follow the weather pattern B4 your trip - these days you can look ahead about 10 days. Beware of Tet in '12 - late January that year.

#2 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 06:00

• KenPeterson

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011

Hi,
    It is highly seasonal, with a subtropical climate in summer and a temperate climate during the winter. Temperatures in January and February are regularly around 0ÂșC. Coldest month, cloudy, foggy but not too wet. better from early days and gets worse to the later half of the month.January through March can be cold.

Car Rental France

#3 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 16:11

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I was in Sapa in January 2010. The weather can be a little unpredictable. We arrived by overnight train from Hanoi - very early morning - it was pretty cold then. We had light fleeces and lightweight jackets, which were just about good enough. Later, the sun shone and it was fine for trekking - perfect in fact - we were able to eat outside etc. By night it came in cold again. I think we had electric blankets in our room. Next day was very misty, so the beautiful views were obscured somewhat. That's how it is, I guess. Was it worth it ? Yes, I would say it was - for me this was far preferable to trekking in extreme summer temperatures.

#4 Posted: 8/7/2011 - 17:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather in Hanoi Area & Sapa in January ... By vvish on 23 Nov 2008 5 9471 10 Dec 2009