Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Nice hotel in Hanoi

• IrisVuur

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

Hi! I am going to Hanoi in December and are looking for a nice, clean, friendly (stafflike) hotel/hostel there. I get mixed signals about several hotels from different sites and books and now I'm lost. Has anybody visted Hanoi recently and found the perfect hotel for around $20/25?
    Thanks! Iris

#1 Posted: 17/7/2011 - 19:55

• Advertisement

• jasinorbit

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

HI, We stayed in one of the Golden Sun hotels (they own 4 I think), not sure what prices are like now, and its more hotel than hostel, but staff were so helpful to use and went out of their way to help. Just google it, managers name was mrs moon....

#2 Posted: 17/7/2011 - 20:13

• Xuka

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi! Iris
    I live in Hanoi , Vietnam and I really love this place. It is a good idea to choose Vietnam be your destination. In Hanoi, there are a lot of hotels, from budget 3 star Hanoi hotels to luxurious 5 star Hanoi hotels. I have to say that hotels in Hanoi collection will be able to meet your inquiry for Hanoi holiday from good rate, good location, great hospitable service and good quality too. And there are a lot of selections for you from the list on the following web with the reasonable prices: http://www.vietvisiontravel.com/vietnam/hotels/hanoi/
    Hope you get a lot of fun in my country!

#3 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 13:55

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Hi. I haven't checked out the hotels here for a while, but last time I looked, for your money I'd try Lucky Star on Bat Dan (I lived there for a month and whilst the rooms are traditionally decorated they are comfortable and good value - if you can negotiate) or possibly even Sunshine Palace on Ma May (it's really nice but I'm not sure you'd get it for your budget anymore as it was US$25 for their smallest room a year ago and prices have increased). Or A25 Hotel used to be a good value option too.

#4 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 18:30

• IrisVuur

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2011

Thank you for all your suggestions! Now I have more doubts...
    Choices, choices. Madam Moon Guesthouse (member of the Golden Sun group) or Charming 2. However, all these hotels are not in the listings of neither Travelfish nor Lonely Planet. But very well reviewed by Tripadvisor. Tip from me to you: book via Agoda, huge discounts!

#5 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 21:07

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Travelmate Hanoi Hotel, 12 Chan Cam St, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi 00844, Vietnam

$15 max. for a room, extra helpful owner and great location with clean and large rooms.

#6 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 21:51

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

December is high season, and inflation has arrived in Hanoi as well. You do not get much for $25. these days. The Especen on Tho Xuong, near the Cathedral, is a good buy in that range - large family rooms with balcony (a basic hotel, no breakfast/lift, but good people). My last experience is at the wonderful Hanoi Art Hotel on Hang Dieu ($35.-45.) - nicest place and a true value. The family room has a huge balcony, elevator, breakfast included, and very good location. Both Hanoi and Saigon have higher prices than places like Hoi An or Sapa.

One more place to check would be the Gia Thinh Hotel on Hang Bac - nice rooms w/computer, breakfast, elevator and excellent location. Rates there a little cheaper than the Art.

If you want really super friendly people, I would choose the Art.

#7 Posted: 19/7/2011 - 05:25

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

I just noticed that Travellings-arah recommended the Sunshine Palace on Ma May! I actually stayed there last December and gave it a bad review - a staff member stole a personal item out of my room (an inexpensive watch).

#8 Posted: 10/8/2011 - 05:35

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

That's not so good! I've recommended it to a few people and they've been impressed but good to know about the problem you had.

#9 Posted: 10/8/2011 - 09:31

• lunar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2011

I stayed at Hanoi Deluxe Hostel and can recommend it. Clean nice rooms, friendly staff and safe. Has good reviews on trip advisor and hostelworld.

#10 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 20:28

• Advertisement

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Hi Iris,
    Indochina Queen 2 on Thuoc Bac street in the Old Quarter was a pretty good place for me back in Feb. Rooms are listed at about $35 but you can get them for less including breakfast. Staff are very helpful.
    P

#11 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 20:23

• matha

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2011

hi all. please can anybody recommend me a good taxi company because I've heard some taxi drivers in Hanoi are cunning.I hope not to find one like this.

#12 Posted: 16/8/2011 - 15:44

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Matha - The only taxi I use in Vietnam is Mai Linh Group. Mai Linh also has minibus services all over VN as well.

#13 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 00:26

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Yes, Mai Linh or, if coming from the airport, Noi Bai. I also use Phu Dong and Thanh Nga and have never had any problems with them.

#14 Posted: 17/8/2011 - 07:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.