Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Trip planning from NY to SE Asia

• esmith5112

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2011

I am planning to visit Ho Chi Minh City for 1.5 weeks at the end of September and then travelling to Bangkok for 1.5 weeks at the beginning of October. Are there any concerns with the weather during this time of the year? I know that it is still the rainy season but I wasn't sure if it would make the trip much better to try and push it back to November. I want to have the best experience I can for my first trip to SE Asia but the Sept to Oct works better with my schedule. Also, any flight/airline recommendations from NY? United and Continental appear to be cheapest. Thanks for the advice in advance!

#1 Posted: 20/7/2011 - 00:26

• Advertisement

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Links to weather information for Vietnam:-

Just graphs:-
    http://owee58.com/2011/07/20/vietnam-rainfall-temperature-charts/

More information with descriptions.:-
    http://owee58.com/2010/05/03/weather-in-vietnam-a-hot-topic/

Weather patterns change. Arrived back in Nha Trang Vietnam in November and through to January it was heavy rains. Its been great since but it was really bad November last year.

Happy travels,

#2 Posted: 21/7/2011 - 10:04

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Don't fly with United (you'd be VERY sorry!) - the very best is Asiana Airlines and you can do open jaw into SGN and return from BKK. Asiana also gives you a free hotel room when transiting Seoul Incheon Airport and your transit exceeds 8 hrs (must be requested after booking - call the 800 USA phone).

That's not much time at all for these destinations. By the way, Hanoi is far nicer than Saigon in my opinion. I've personally made 4 trips to the area, and always stop in Hanoi. Bangkok is interesting and HOT - sort of like an Asian Los Angeles! I prefer Vietnam to all other SE Asian countries - the people are SUPER SUPER SUPER!!!

#3 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 00:50

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Travel from Hanoi or Saigon to Bangkok on Air Asia - the best and cheapest way to go - book on their website only.

#4 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 00:56

• esmith5112

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2011

Thank you for your responses. I will definitely look into Hanoi as opposed to Saigon as well as Asiana Airlines.

So if I go to SE Asia during this time of year am I going to be stuck in the rain the entire trip? That's my main concern. I know it will be hot and I know there will be rain when looking at the patterns and some of the links provided, but will it be unbearable and will it ruin my experience?

#5 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 01:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning SE Asia trip - help appreciated! ... By chicoelnino on 17 Sep 2010 3 2800 18 Sep 2010
Communicating In SE Asia/ Planning a trip for a newbie! ... By suzienichols on 5 Sep 2010 7 2203 7 Sep 2010
Planning a trip to South East Asia...Would like advise on things to do and see ... By thatscottishlad on 4 Nov 2013 5 1506 6 Nov 2013