Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

How to get my Vietnam visa?

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Hey,

I'm currently travelling around SE Asia and will be heading into Vietnam overland from Laos sometime around Oct. I was wondering how do I get my visa sorted before I enter Vietnam?

Can I go into the embassy in Bangkok(I'll be there in a few weeks) and get it sorted?

If so, then am I committed to entering Vietnam on a certain date?

How long does it take to get the visa if I apply for it in person in Bangkok?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

#1 Posted: 21/7/2011 - 22:49

• Advertisement

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

Yes you can get a visa for Vietnam at the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok.You go there and submit your application,it's a simple form,you need one passport size photo,and the fee(I'm not sure what it is now,when I last did it,was about 2500THB),It's never been busy when I've been there,usually only a short wait. You then come back the next afternoon after 15.00 and collect it.You have to specify what date you want the visa to start.You can't enter before that date,you can enter after the start date,but then you lose days,it's valid for 30 days from the start date,not date of entry

#2 Posted: 22/7/2011 - 09:25

• chicoelnino

Click here to learn more about chicoelnino
    Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2010

Ok thank you for the info. Just wondering if there's a Vietnamese embassy in Laos that I could do the same thing in? You see I'll be travelling in Laos before entering Vietnam and therefore will have a better idea of when I'll be moving to Vietnam.

Thanks again for the help.

#3 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 13:49

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

http://www.myvietnamvisa.com/vietnamese-visa-in-vientiane-laos.html might help :-) Note: whichever country you come in from via a land border you must have a visa in your passport already. Visa On Arrival is not an option.

#4 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 20:18

• lunar

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2011

I got my Vietnam VISA in Vientianne. Took a tuk tuk to the embassy, paid 55$ and it took just 5 minutes.

#5 Posted: 3/8/2011 - 22:36

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

you are going to Laos so get your visa in laos in Vientiane as stated above. Go in the morning and request to collect that afternoon. Carry photos with you. I paid an extra $5 to get it that day.

The entry date you give is the date the visa starts not when you enter the country. If you go in 2 weeks later you have lost 2 weeks. It is easy to extend within Vietnam.

Embassies and consulates are normally only open Monday to Friday start early and finish early and closed for lunch.

cheers

#6 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 11:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.