Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Border Run or Visa Extension?

• AGRO

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2011

We will be arriving in Vietnam overland from Cambodia.

I am Canadian and will be getting my Visa in Sihaunikville. My partner is Filipino and therefore does not require a Visa. She will be stamped 21 days.

Since I'm allowed 30 days and she's allowed 21 days. We were hoping to stay at least 30 days, if not more.

So we're wondering if we're allowed to extend our Visa's in Ho Chi Minh or even preferably Nha Trang.

Or do we have to do a border run back into Cambodia?

If a border run is the only way....

Can we just stamp out of Vietnam and then back in minutes later?
    Or do I have to get another Cambodia Visa on Arrival.....just to leave again.
    Any minimum stay we would have to stay?

I guess we're just hoping we can pay to extend while in the country!

Oh and one last question....if we can pay to extend. Do we have to wait until the original 21/ 30 days are complete or can we apply within the first week while we are still in HCMC

Thanks everyone!

#1 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 01:05

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

You should have no problem extending your 30-day visa. You need to do it at least 5 days before it runs out - but I'm not sure if there's a limit on how far in advance you can do it.

Your partner's stamp could be a different matter - because it's a visa exemption not a visa, I'm not sure if you can extend it.

If you have to leave the country then as far as I'm aware you would have to actually go into Cambodia in order to get back out again! If you go by air you would need to arrange your Vietnamese Visa On Arrival in advance (no on-the-spot visa available) and if you go by land you'll have to get to Phnom Penh and apply for a visa there, so you'll have to wait for that.

#2 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 10:13

• GentleGiant

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2011

Hi, newbie here with a similar question, but running for the VIETNAM border from China.
    I am staying in Nanning for ~4 months, but only have a double entry visa (2x60days). As I am so close to the border I was hoping I could cross into Vietnam, then turn around and cross straight back into China.

Will this work (I am thinking transit visa), or will I need to apply for a full Vietnam visa??

ANY advice on what I need to do would be received with heart-felt gratitude.

My other option is flying to Hong Kong, but this is rather expensive.

#3 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 12:25

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I don't know the answer to this for sure, so apologies that this may be of no help whatsoever, but if you enter Vietnam I assume you will need a full visa as they don't know if you're just stopping for 5 minutes or going back into China. Now it may be possible to enter no-mans land (i.e. exit stamp for China but don't go through Vietnamese immigration) and then go straight back into China but I don't know - I'd be interested to find out!

#4 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 13:20

• GentleGiant

Joined Travelfish
    1st August, 2011

Thanks for the reply sarah. I am wondering if I should put my question in the general visa questions section, rather than just the Vietnam section; in theory the same question could be asked about using any border crossing in or out of any country.

I cannot beleive I am the first to think about it, so somewhere there is someone who has tried it and knows if it works.

#5 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 11:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Vietnam Visa Extension ... By maxmartin67 on 13 Aug 2011 4 4990 20 Jul 2014
Vietnam Visa Extension Cities ... By JustinC474 on 6 Nov 2012 0 725 6 Nov 2012
Vietnam Visa Extension Cities ... By JustinC474 on 6 Nov 2012 3 2229 18 Mar 2014
Can i get a visa extension on a 30day tourist visa without leaving the country? ... By swenglishdan on 31 Dec 2006 5 5276 4 Nov 2012