Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc to HCMC via Mekong

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Good morning all,

Next week I am going to be in Phu Quoc and was then going to make my way through Rach Gia to Can Tho, My Tho and then onto HCMC. I have given myself 5 or 6 days to do it.

I know there have been heaps of topics on it but Im after updated information.

What are the major flaws in doing this trip myself and catching local buses/boats? Are the buses still the best way to get from place to place? Anything to avoid?

Any tips or good spots to look out for, even if they are out of the way?

Thanks,
    Fatty

#1 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 03:51

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's pretty simple and straightforward to do but this time of the year the weather is a big factor (I live in the region).

Windgusts, lightning and waves make the ferry unpleasant if you're unlucky with the weather. Best to take a morning ferry because in general it's calmer then.
    Also consider the ferry to Ha Tien if the weather is bad. The ferry ride to Ha Tien is shorter than to Rach Gia . Although the latter is easier for onward travel. So, have a good look a the weather before you decide.

Once in Rach Gia or Ha Tien I'd opt for the Mai Linh buses rather than the local "chicken" buses. Normally I'd already recommend those but now (rainy season) many places/roads in the delta are flooded so you want the be in a decent (mini)bus with decent policies.
    Also never had any problems with prices or scams with this company and they stop in all the places that you mention.

Have a good trip

#2 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 13:14

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Thanks Eastwest.

Good advice. Thanks a lot.

I'll check out the Mai Linh buses I think and consider skipping it all together and flying back to HCMC if the weather/flooding is that bad.

Thanks again.

#3 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 13:30

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Flying to HCMC is a lot easier and you can always work your way down from HCMC to see the delta.

However, floods should not deter you from visiting the delta since it happens every year. Most times just an inconvenience of 5 - 10 cm of water in certain parts so wear flipflops to wade through water. It's not dangerous flashfloods or mudslides.
    I actually enjoy the delta in the rainy season because you can see how well the locals have adapted to this season.

Happy travels

#4 Posted: 1/8/2011 - 17:51

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Oh! Thats a relief. We are making our way to HCMC anyway and the whole plan was to see the Mekong whilst we made our way back.

Your advice has been invaluable. Flip Flops, Thongs or Jandles (wherever your allegances lie regarding light rubber footwear!) packed. I have been in the mountains when landslides happened up past Kon Tum and wow! Now i understand its just a rising of water i'm much happier...

Thanks again..

#5 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 04:25

• Travelindoc-
    hine

Click here to learn more about Travelindochine
    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Should use boat from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien (faster, about 1.5h) then take Mai Linh bus to Chau Doc / Can tho / Ho Chi Minh city

wish you have a good trip

#6 Posted: 19/8/2011 - 13:43

• Fattymac

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2009

Posted from within Vietnam.

For everyones info I made the trip from Phu quoc through can tho and into HCMC very easily. It was a breeze with the ferry connecting with the bus in rach Gia to go to can tho. Took mailinh buses the whole time. Was great service.

#7 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 12:04

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Great to hear and thanks for the feedback.

enjoy the rest of the trip!

#8 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 14:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
HCMC through Mekong Delta to Phu Quoc? ... By dougiepunk on 26 Jul 2010 11 6193 15 Aug 2010
how better plan the trip HCMC-Mekong-Phu Quoc ? ... By wildkat on 20 Nov 2010 1 1863 20 Nov 2010
Short Mekong DIY Tour HCMC to Rach Gia for Phu Quoc Ferry advice please ... By paulascott on 8 Nov 2011 20 5695 18 Nov 2011