Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Mosquito Nets - useful?

• krestniy

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Do I really need to carry a mosquito net? We'll be in Vietnam and Laos for 40 days total, including some tours. It seems that most nets come either with a hook that attaches in the center or with strings at each corner. I am wondering about how useful they will be. If a room has a place to tie the hook - wouldn't it have a mosquito net? And if it doesn't - where would the net be placed? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 14:22

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    I've traveled around Asia and in 3 years I've used my net once!
    If you are staying to the well traveled routes and not planning to hike up into the jungles & camp, then I'd have to say they are not worth carrying around.

If you need one in a homestay or guest house, they will be there.
    Others may have different experiences though.

#2 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 16:16

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I took a net on my last 2 trips to SEA (1 x 6 weeks, 1 x 5 months), and used my net only a handful of times - and probably only once were I actually needed it.

I agree with Mike that many places had them where they were needed. I tend to stay in fan rooms and find that turning the fan on to you at night will help keep the rogue mozzie away (and I always sleep in a silk sleeping bag which helps too).

I am probably going to leave mine behind on my next upcoming trip to Laos.

#3 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 16:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I haven't got a mosquito net and I've never really wished I had one with me.

Get a silk sleeping bag instead, extremely compact and light to carry and far more useful because many GHs don't have top sheets even if they do have mosquito nets. A sleeping bag would more or less cover all of your body and there are products you could impregnate it with to keep the mossies away.

#4 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 19:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you are anticipating sleeping somewhere with no fan, they are useful. As Liz points out, if you have a fan, it tends to generate enough air turbulence to keep them away. But if not, I would use one. Even a sleeping bag, unless it covers your head, has it's limits (wife got bit on the forhead last week while sleeping - no fan). Also, once in a while we have these moth like insects that come out to breed, thousands of them. Tens of thousands. They swarm lighting. I was sleeping in the village one night and I was using my mosquito net and glad I was - they were all over it. They don't bite, but they are annoying. But for the most part, I agree with SBE and Liz. Fan ought to do the trick most of the time.

#5 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 21:49

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Madmac
    '(wife got bit on the forhead last week while sleeping - no fan).'
    Why haven't you got a fan? Surely most of the villages are on the electricity grid now. Our place in Ampere Muang near Ubon has electricity, running water and even a telephone box.It even has a tour bus pass once a day to take people to Ubon and on to Bangkok.
    I think your headman must have offended somebody ;-)

On the matter of mosquito nets, personally if I didn't have a fan I'd use a mosquito coil with plenty of ventilation as nets are hot as hell. I know I'm going to be told about toxic fumes but I prefer them to the constant buzz of mosquitos and scratching the bites all night.

#6 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 22:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

We have air conditioning - she doesn't like the fan on her. She prefers the AC.

And I don't live in a village. My wife is from a village, but we live in the city (hence the AC).

#7 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 22:37

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I didn't realise that mosquitos liked air-conditioning.I thought the little beasts only flourished in the sweltering humidity.Must have been a rogue mosquito or just bad luck.
    Believe it or not some of the village houses have a/c now. It's a terrible shame to see people knocking down the traditional wooden house and replacing it with cement and a/c. Personally I can't abide it as it gives me a sore throat but each to his own.

#8 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 23:48

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

As the OP rightly pointed out, if there's no mosquito net there may well be nowhere to attach it either. Probably just a dangling light bulb with dodgy wiring...electrocution/fire risk.

#9 Posted: 5/8/2011 - 23:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

They fly in from the bathroom... We don't get a lot, but usually one or two infiltrate during the course of the day, and if we fail to locate and kill or capture the mosquito prior to lights out, he is just active enough in the cool climate to bite.

If the structure is concrete, then sleeping without AC is, for most of the year, miserable. The concrete retains too mu8ch heat from day. If it's a wooden structure that breathes, I am fine with a fan. BUT, you'd better have something in place to deal with the ants, because they infiltrate wooden houses quicker than a VC sapper.

#10 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 00:00

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Ants are invulnerable; the perfect army, disciplined,fearless and unstoppable
    We used to put little cups of oil under all the table legs it's the only way to stop them getting to the jam.
    :-)

#11 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 00:39

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

woops, sorry I meant jelly (as you're American)

#12 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 00:40

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

How do you stop wee red ants getting into laptops.

#13 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 01:04

• krestniy

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

In Vietnam we were planning to stay at the following places:
    Bai Tu Long Bay cruise - 3 days, staying at a nice junk
    Hanoi (6 days) - stay at a good hotel
    Hue/Hoi An - 3-5 days
    Northern Mountains of some sort / Sapa - 4-5 days

#14 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 01:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Krestniy
    The thing about Mosquito nets is they take up a fair chunk of space. I'd say SBEs solution here is the most practical for your problem set.

SBE - My wife prefers Chemical attack.

#15 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 01:53

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

SBE
    Why would they want to get in your laptop? Reckon you must have been snacking while using it and minute crumbs have got inside.
    Actually ants are just as much a pest as mosquitos and nets don't keep them out.
    Putting little cups of oil under table legs is the standard practice in Malaysia don't know about Thailand. So you could keep your laptop on the table!
    What are those things which bite you on the beach and the bites take ages to heal?
    Again no net for them.
    I think mosquitos are the least of your worries in the Tropics.
    No, nets are too hot; stick to a fan or a burning coil and don't snack in bed or your laptop will suffer. ;-)

#16 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 01:58

• krestniy

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Thanks, but I would think that silk would make me warmER at night and the climate will be warm as is, it seems like :) And how would a silk sleeping bag be different from just covering myself with a sheet? :)

#17 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 02:26

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Depends on what kind of accommodation you're staying in krestniy. If you're staying in posh hotels then you won't need a mosquito net or a sleeping bag because you'll have A/C and top sheets.

In cheap accommodation you'll probably have a fan and often there will be no top sheet. You could use a sarong as a sheet but they tend to slip off during the night ... a sleeping bag doesn't.

Not everywhere in SE Asia is hot, especially the more mountainous areas. I haven't been to Vietnam but I don't think Sapa would be very warm in winter, probably downright cold in fact. Even beaches can get pretty cool at night. I needed a blanket as well as my sleeping bag when I was staying in a beach bungalow in Thailand last winter, even with the fan off. Simple bamboo or wooden beach huts have lots of natural ventilation (unlike concrete bungalows) and there's usually a breeze coming off the sea.

I think the ants probably got attracted by beer spills Sayadian. I never have any food in my room because that attracts rats. [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img] Wee red ants seem to be attracted to the extra heat inside a laptop. I've tried putting my laptop inside a plastic bag full of bug spray ...it kinda works but there are always a few survivors. I read somewhere that deep freezing the laptop was the answer but I haven't dared try that yet...bit afraid that that will cause condensation which might not be terribly good for the innards. Has anyone tried that solution?

What are those things which bite you on the beach and the bites take ages to heal?

Sandflies, AKA no-see-ums because they are very tiny and can get through standard sized mesh mosquito nets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

#18 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 03:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I wouldn't do the freezing thing either. Open her up, kill each and every one of the little baastards.

#19 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 11:14

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

woops, sorry I meant jelly (as you're American)

HAHA! We have jam in every grocery store in the states....

But if Mac needs some Smuckers I will take up a collection...!

#20 Posted: 6/8/2011 - 12:16

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Thomas
    Shows how long it is since I was over there. But what is jam to you? Is it the boiled fruit and sugar we have in UK because I remember it being called jelly.
    Smuckers goobagrape! yeh.
    The other beaut in translation is 'a brew'
    U.S. Beer; UK. cup of tea. They think we're all alcoholics when we say we fancy a brew at 6 a.m.
    Anybody want some jam I'll be in Bangkok a week Wednesday so if you'd like to collect it let me know.

#21 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 13:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mosquito Nets - useful? ... By krestniy on 5 Aug 2011 2 2816 5 Aug 2011
Mosquito Nets ... By daniel4 on 13 Jun 2011 4 3855 16 Jun 2011
mosquito nets! ... By TECOYLL on 20 Nov 2008 1 2234 21 Nov 2008
Mosquito Nets ... By lisasc on 15 Feb 2008 4 5948 20 Feb 2008
Mosquito Nets needed? ... By Lost_Vagabond on 1 Mar 2013 3 1909 4 Dec 2013
Mosquito Nets - Are they available in Bangkok?? ... By SteveHickey on 11 Apr 2007 6 2857 7 Oct 2014
Where to buy mosquito nets in Bangkok? ... By stillanonymous on 22 Dec 2009 2 4544 23 Dec 2009
Blogs and mosquito nets ... By maxlstylee on 31 May 2010 11 4403 30 Jun 2010