Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Con Dao

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if anyone could let me know about accommodation options on Can Dao apart from the 3 hotels that are listed about the place. Is there anything like guesthouses or something informal like that? Any other info also appreciated. Probably not looking at coming over until Feb next year.
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 7/8/2011 - 14:23

• Advertisement

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

OK, so I'm replying to my own post. Has no one been to Con Dao here that provide anything about the place?
    P

#2 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 20:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Our Saigon researcher prob heading there in next month -- will post back when have her report in :)

#3 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 20:30

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I was on Con Dao a few years ago and it's one of my favorite places. I'm bad with memory and details however so can not give you that much practical information.

I know there is/was one or two places that were catering for budget travellers. Not the typical backpacker places but pleasant bungalows/rooms with restaurant. Nothing on Con Dao is really budget like you find on the mainland. This place, where I didn't stay, was probably charging $10-15 for a room and is along the main seaside boulevard in the main town.
    Added bonus is that all places do a free pick-up from the airport and since there is no public transport that's just the thing you need. Another reason for booking your first night.

In the tiny main town, not seaside though, I've also seen some real local guesthouses who probably cater to vietnamese. You could check those out as well but you'll probably need to speak some basic vietnamese.

Feb is probably ok to just show up without booking but keep in mind that the options are limited. Personally I'd book anything for the first night, even if it's a bit over budget, and then check out the options for the remaining nights. You're really on an isolated island and the only option you might find left is the 6 senses resort whose rooms go for a whopping $500.

#4 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 09:11

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Hey Eastwest,
    Thats great, thought it might be something like that.
    Somtam - will keep an eye out for the report.
    Cheers

#5 Posted: 14/8/2011 - 09:43

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Sorry for the late reaction but I was hoping, for you, that someone with more recent knowledge could help you.
    I also look forward to that report. It's a gem of a place and wonder how far development has reached over there.

Enjoy and make sure you rent a motorbike and drive around Con son. Absolutely breathtaking coastal road. Not that you have many other options to do on the island anyway.

#6 Posted: 14/8/2011 - 10:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.