Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Motorbike NW loop then hanoi to hcmc in 28 days?

• shing

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

HI

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AROUND FOR SIMILAR THREADS AND THEY ARE MOSTLY OUTDATED SO I DECIDED TO START THIS.

I AM PLANNING A BIKING TRIP IN VIETNAM FROM 12 DEC 2011 TO 10 JAN 2012 . THE PLAN IS TO BUY/RENT A BIKE IN HANOI, LIKELY CUONGS(HIS NAME JUST KEEPS APPEARING!) IT WOULD BE A HONDA WIN OR WAVE.

NOW THE ORIGNAL PLAN IS TO DO THE NW LOOP( Hanoi -> Mai Chau -> Dien Bien Phu -> Sapa -> Hanoi ) THEN FROM HANOI HEAD DOWN TO HCMC, FLYING BACK FROM HCMC.

THE PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW ROUGHLY HOW LONG I WILL TAKE TO DO THE NW LOOP, AND IF I WERE TO DO NW AND MY ANY COW LUCK I DONT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO MAKE IT DOWN HCMC FOR MY FLIGHT ON 10JAN THEN THINGS WILL BE REALLY TRICKY.

IF I DONT DO THE NW LOOP, THEN I FEEL 28 DAYS WOULD BE TOO MUCH FOR HANOI DOWN TO HCMC, BESIDES I DEFINITELY WANT TO SEE DIEN BIEN PHU DUE TO IT BEING A VERY SIGNIFICANT PART OF VIETNAMS WAR HISTORY.

I LOVE THE COUNTRYSIDE , NATURE AND WAR MUSEUMS, ARTIFACTS , HISTORY, LIKELY I WILL STAY 1 TO 2 NIGHTS IN EACH MAJOR TOWN FROM HANOI TO HCMC , ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR MUST VISIT PLACES? CHEAP GUESTHOUSES ALONG THE WAY?

I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN GOING ALONG THE HO CHI MINH TRIAL ON MY WAY TO HCMC, ANY ONE HAS DONE IT BEFORE COULD SHARE MORE ON THAT?

FINALLY, WITH REGARDS TO SELLING (SHOULD I DECIDE TO BUY) MY BIKE IN VIETNAM, ANY ONE HAS CONTACTS OR SHOPS WHICH I COULD SELL IT TOO? I WOULD BE PUTTING IT UP ON FORUMS SO SHOULD IT NOT WORK ,I COULD SELL IT OFF THERE.

WOLD APPRECIATE ANY YOUR ADVISE/HELPicon_razz.gif

#1 Posted: 11/8/2011 - 20:35

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I would allow at least a week to do the NW loop, depending upon how long you want to spend in each place and how much driving you want to do. You could estimate 2-3 days of driving to get to DBP via Mai Chau, then another 3 days to get to Sapa and a couple of days back from Sapa (or put your bike on the overnight train which will save time and a rather boring drive).

I can't comment on the Hanoi to HCMC route but there are plenty of posts about that on the site which, even if they're a bit old, will still be relevant. Just to note though, you can't drive along the HCM Trail - you can drive on the HCM Freeway / Highway which is a pretty good road by all accounts.

#2 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 09:39

• shing

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2011

''you can drive on the HCM Freeway / Highway which is a pretty good road by all accounts'' Do you mean the highway 1? i am planning to do highway 15 and 14 on my way down. highway 1 by all accounts is'' a clogged up highway with people zooming past you like you dont exist''? anyhow 14 and 15 would allow me to see more of the country side:)

i would allow myself 20 days to get down for hanoi to hcmc allowing another 2 days to sell my bike in hcmc and explore the area which means i have around 6-8 days for the north ?

For my Northern itinery, I was thinking of hanoi>Ngia Lo>Than Uyen>DBP>Son La> Mai Chau then towards highway 15 and 14 down to HCMC. Do you think its this realistic to complete in 6 days my itinery up North?

#3 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 10:02

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I don't mean Highway 1 - I think the HCM Highway is Highway 15, yes, but I'm not 100%. I just know it's not the HCM Trail.

I think your Northern itinerary is possible in 6 days but you'll probably be doing quite long drives each day, or at least for a couple of the days. If you're happy with that then no problem!

#4 Posted: 12/8/2011 - 12:29

• gabrielgodin

Joined Travelfish
    17th February, 2011

Hi man

I have got a Win for sale in Hanoi; really good condition. Comes with helmet, map, bungee cords, maintenance guide.... And a new spare inner gear selector. I dont think Cuong gives that with his bikes, but that's the only major week point on Wins, and if it breaks down in the countryside and you dont have a spare one, you will loose time.

PS: the Ho Chi Minh trail IS the H15, I don't know why the other person told you it's not. And if you want to see something even more remote, higher, and more beautiful than Sapa , just look on a map for the province of Ha Giang, just East of Sapa and Lao Cai. Seriously man, it's so much better than Sapa! A week would be the minimum to be comfortable for a loop Hanoi, Mai Chau, Sapa, Ha Giang... but seriously, Ha Giang is so intense that you would be better with 2 weeks coz there are so many nice spots to stop!! If you don't go to Ha Giang, one week would be enough. You can call me once your in Hanoi: 0128 5963 559, I can give you other tips, and.... of course, I repeat, I 've got a really good Win 110cc for sale.

#5 Posted: 25/8/2011 - 21:07

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I was just being pedantic: I was on a tour recently in Phong Nha and the guide explained how the HMC Trail was through the middle of the jungle and Highway 15 is the HCM Highway. Not the trail. But it really doesn't matter. It's Highway 15 either way.

#6 Posted: 26/8/2011 - 10:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Motorbike trip - Hanoi to HCMC ... By chicoelnino on 24 Nov 2013 2 690 9 Dec 2013
21 Days - HCMC to Hanoi ... By drewtheshmoo on 7 Jun 2011 3 3068 15 Jun 2011
Hanoi to HCMC 18 days ... By jessia on 22 Mar 2010 6 1872 23 Mar 2010
12 days from HCMC to Hanoi ... By boobookitty on 18 Jun 2012 5 2407 7 Jul 2012
12 days, hanoi to hcmc ... By kellipoop on 24 Sep 2010 10 1762 30 Sep 2010
How many days will it take on motorbike from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi? ... By sel206 on 10 Mar 2011 1 5631 10 Mar 2011
Mae Hong Son Loop on motorbike - want to come? ... By ABJunkie on 1 Dec 2011 1 1087 1 Dec 2011
Mae Hong Son loop by motorbike - Anyone? ... By plasmic on 18 May 2013 0 809 18 May 2013
Motorbike Wanted For Hanoi to HCMC Trip Starting 19-20 October 2012 ... By Kiwiboris on 13 Sep 2012 0 610 13 Sep 2012
PEOPLE/PERSON WANTED FOR MOTORBIKE JOURNEY FROM HCMC UP TO HANOI. LEAVING ASAP..TOMORROW ... By druciefruits on 27 Jul 2012 0 1628 27 Jul 2012