Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Visa

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

Hi guys,

I'm currently in Chiang Mai and myself and a friend decided as a spur of the moment thing to go to Vietnam. We were looking at applying for a visa online but we're not sure which companies are real and if any are fakes as we don't want to pay the money and arrive to find we have no visa, or get completely over charged.

We are travelling to Bangkok tonight on the sleeper train and staying in Bangkok 1 night before getting a bus to Siem Reap for 2-3 nights, Phnom Penh for 1 night then bus to HCMC. We were going to go to the Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok but it is closed on Sundays.

I have tried searching the forum for up to date information about reliable websites but I'm not having much luck finding any. I've also looked at the possibility of getting one in Phnom Penh but because we're only there for 1 night and leaving the following day I'm not sure if I want to leave it so late in case we have any problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated asap. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 11:07

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Unless it's changed recently, if you're travelling overland you won't be able to get a VOA (the one you get online) so you will need to organise it in advance. Looks like you'll have to replan your schedule or at least allow for an extra day or so in PP just in case. Lots of information on this site about VOA companies to use if you decide to go by air to HCMC.

#2 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 15:36

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

#3 Posted: 20/8/2011 - 19:17

• 69bertie

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

yes, no land crossing with VOA. You can only pick the visa up, on arrival, at any of the 3 international airports.
    On how it works...... http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k4034347-All_questions_about_Visa_on_Arrival_VOA_please_read_here-Vietnam.html

#4 Posted: 1/9/2011 - 16:50

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

Thanks for the advice guys. We went to Phnom Penh and got it done in one day for $45 at the embassy. At first the guy said it would take 2 days but with a bit of begging he did it in about 6 hours.

#5 Posted: 2/9/2011 - 16:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.