Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Facebook in Vietnam

Posted by KirstyB on 26/8/2011 at 18:57

I just heard that Facebook in Vietnam has been officially unblocked (not that I think it was ever "officially blocked" and a work around was often possible). I'm not in Vietnam so can't personally verify this but a sudden flurry of activity on FB by my Vietnamese friends seem to confirm this.

Just need China to lift their block now. Hahaha

#1 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by travellingsarah on 27/8/2011 at 10:35 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Nope. Afraid it's still blocked as far as my computer's telling me.

#2 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by AGRO on 27/8/2011 at 19:36

I am in Vietnam and Facebook is no problem. At first in Hanoi it didn't work but I asked the hotel guy who had a small 3 computer internet cafe downstairs and he went to the network settings, did something and now I have access anywhere.

My suggestion is ask any Vietnamese internet shop person and they'll likely easily help you.

#3 AGRO has been a member since 27/7/2011. Posts: 31

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 28/8/2011 at 09:49

Well it's available in Ha Tien on my computer,whereas it wasn't before.and I haven't changed any settings,so it looks like you're right,and it's now been unblocked.

#4 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 109
 Website 

Posted by travellingsarah on 29/8/2011 at 22:12 TF writer

After my DNS codes suddenly stopped working and amending the system code had no effect I tried ultrasurf. Got onto Facebook fine but it's screwed up all my browsing history and my Adobe Creative Suite now keeps asking me for the serial number. Had similar problems when I used to use Hotspot Shield. Just a warning! Anyway, I think the situation is that different ISPs have different levels of blockage or whatever it is (excuse my poor terminology) which would explain why some people can get on and I still can't!

#5 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679

Posted by JasonB on 1/9/2011 at 10:02

Yes, It has been unblock. But I'm not sure when they are going to block it. So if you can't access facebook in Vietnam, you can try to search on google with: How to access facebook in Vietnam.

#6 JasonB has been a member since 19/3/2011. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 24
 Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+ 

Posted by travellingsarah on 1/9/2011 at 13:13 TF writer

It's intermittent and also depends on your ISP. Still no official 'unblocking' as far as I can tell.

#7 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679

Posted by 69bertie on 1/9/2011 at 16:43

Yes, depends where you go. Even my own Netbook, which I've modded and works fine in HCMC, refused to fully load the page in Phu Quoc. Back in HCMC, working fine again. Mobile phone application has always worked 100%
What I do find amusing is that a big electrical outlet in HCMC as, as one of it's selling points for internet TV, is connect to Facebook! Go figure!

#8 69bertie has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 90

Posted by DutchieVietnam on 2/9/2011 at 12:45

Its much easier to put Https before the address, or go online through f3.proxymice.com. No need to use ultrasurf or dns!

#9 DutchieVietnam has been a member since 2/9/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by Rasheeed on 5/9/2011 at 08:55

Damn, if there's a risk of it messing with my creative suite I won't get near facebook. Shoot, I got the fancy creative suite, the USD10 version in BKK as opposed to the USD3-4 one in PP.

#10 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.