Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Family Travel

• jasmichf

Joined Travelfish
    29th June, 2011

I was hoping to get a little advice on travelling to Vietnam with my two small children. My husband and I would like to go next year, still not decided on when as it will depend on his roster. Our 2 boys will be aged 2 and 5.
    I have been doing some reading and want to visit so many places but need to consider the kids. i would love any advice: how long to spend in places, must sees and great visit for the kids. Reply to this

I have in mind
    sapa
    hanoi / halong bay (not to sure about that with the kids being so younge)
    HCMC
    Hoi An

#1 Posted: 8/9/2011 - 17:37

• Advertisement

• Travelindoc-
    hine

Click here to learn more about Travelindochine
    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Welcome to Vietnam!

Sound your plan and place is good. Sapa is very beautiful place, your kid surely like it. However, should avoid December the weather is very cold. The trip to Sapa normal 4days (2 overnight on train, 1 overnight in Sapa hotel, and 1 days discover Sapa)

With 2 nights in Hanoi , you can combine City tour, day trip to Halong Bay, and Tam Coc - Bich Dong (Halong Bay on Land)

From Hanoi you can take night train / flight to Hue , one night in Hue and morning transfer to Hoi An , stay at beach side or riverside 2 nights. You will enjoy it

From Hoi An flight to HCMC, spend 4 day here for visit the Cu Chi Tunnels, City tour and incredible Mekong Delta

Wish you have a good trip

#2 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 11:23

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It's a sensible plan to only choose 4 places. However, you haven't said anything about duration of your trip and budget.

I agree that Sapa would be great with children where they can run around amidst beautiful scenery. The overnight train may be exciting for them as well. Plan 4-5 days if you like the outdoors and fresh climate. Normal stay would be 2-3 days. Only the overnight train could raise a few sanitary issues but probably manageable if you go prepared.

Halong can be great with children as well because it gives them a good chance to swim. Consider a 2-3 day trip here and make sure you bring your own floaters or boards (or buy them cheaply in Hanoi or Halong city) for swimming. Most boats are pretty high above the water but with some help from fellow tourists it should be easy to get the kids in and out of the water. Perhaps a rope and some sort of seat to haul them in or let them down.

Hoi An would be great for you and the children. because of the combination of history and beach. You can easily do a few hours in town and then head to the beach. I'd plan a long time (5-6 days) here.

HCMC is probably not the best city for families. The Old Quarter in Hanoi is manageable with children but after that HCMC will seem a bit too hectic for you with traffic worries. You could hire 2 cyclos to get around town. I'm sure they'll love that but otherwise distances and traffic make HCMC a bit difficult.
    Keep this short and consider a few days in the Mekong delta

Have a good trip

#3 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 15:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Julie
    Are you German by chance?

I try to avoid using the word "should" because what you should do and I should do are often going to be different. I recognize, of course, you mean here 'I would"... just a tip for future posts.

Jasmich
    You might find this link useful:

http://www.kidstravelblog.com.au/2229/vietnam-as-a-family-holiday-destination-review/

Based on what I've read (not experienced) I think Eastwest is right about Saigon. Doesn't sound like a place easy to navigate with a rug rat.

#4 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 17:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.