Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Planning around Tet in South Vietnam

• jd011

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011

Hi, I'm going to be in Vietnam from 19th Jan - 5th Feb flying in HCMC. Tet is on the 23rd Jan this year i think. I am wanting to visit the Mekong Delta, Phu Quoc, Hue, Hoi An.
    I was wondering where I should be before and after Tet, as I know some places go really quiet over Tet while others are busy. Places like the Mekong Delta wouldnt be the same if I went when the floating markets werent fully operating etc. Not really sure about the other places though, and how Tet would affect my visit.
    Thanks for any help and I cant reschedule either!

#1 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 11:49

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I'm missing the part where you say what you want to see or avoid.
    For some people it's interesting to be in a busy "local" area to observe how they celebrate. Other people like to avoid the crowds.

Either way it's bad to travel during Tet so make sure you stay in 1 place during Tet. To be more precise: a few days before and after.

Choose Phu Quoc or Hoi An if you want the "business as usual" kind of place and avoid the big crowds of locals. You will notice Tet but it won't affect you much.
    Hue and Mekong Delta are good if you like to observe local life and celebrations.

And oh, it's good to book a hotel for Tet in advance. The quiet places (Phu Quoc & Hoi An) tend to fill up quickly with city expats escaping the cities. Hue and Mekong Delta hotels will fill up with Vietnamese visiting their families.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 18:16

• jd011

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011

Thanks for your reply. Managed to change flights to come in on the 16th. Would rather be in Hoi An or Phu Quoc over Tet I think for simplicity's sake. Thinking about going through the Mekong to Phu Quoc for Tet. If I left HCMC on the 17th or 18th to travel through the Mekong do you think everything would still be in full swing there 4 days before Tet? Or would it be quiet then as well?

#3 Posted: 24/9/2011 - 21:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.