Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam and Thailand for 4 weeks

• tijana88

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Vietnam and Thailand sometime in late October/early November and staying until late November/early December. I was thinking of splitting up my 4 weeks evenly between the 2 countries so staying in each for 2 weeks. The purpose of my trip is mainly to relax and see interesting things. I definitely don't want to cram as much as possible in there and get exhausted. I am mainly looking for nice beaches! So weather is really important.
    I am flying from Canada and I would like to end my trip on an island somewhere (ie. get the sightseeing donen first and then relax). Would you suggest flying into Vietnam or Thailand first? I know that parts of Thailand get really rainy in November and I want to avoid that. Can you give me some general advice on where to go first so that I get the best weather (keeping in mind that I would prefer to end my trip on an island ie. a nice beach). Also, do you think an even split in terms of time between the 2 countries is the best way to do it given that I have 4 weeks or would you suggest something else?

Thanks for your help!

Tijana

#1 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 01:24

• Advertisement

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

Hi there. I think it will depend on what you want to do and see as to what people recommend, but if you're wanting to finish on an island then I would recommend finishing with Thailand so that you can chill on the islands there. That means you could spend more time travelling through Vietnam and tire yourself out before heading for some relaxation.

Again with splitting the time it will depend on how much you want to see and do in each place. If you just want to go to the beaches in Thailand then 2 weeks may be too long just to sit and relax, but if you're going to travel anywhere else you might need longer, the same with Vietnam since it's a huge country.

#2 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 03:17

• jenniferong

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

In Viet Nam, don't miss Phu Quoc Beach, Con Dao Island, Cham Island (Hoi An). They are extremely beautiful and unexplored island in Viet Nam

#3 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 13:21

• tijana88

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

Thanks for your replies! I am thinking of visiting Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi and Sapa in Vietnam for sure and maybe HCMC and Halong Bay. Given that I have 2 weeks though, that may be too ambitious so should I just do the first 4 places I mentioned?
    In Thailand, I would like to visit Bangkok, Chiang Mai and then relax on a beach for the rest of the time. I am thinking Krabi is my best bet weather-wise for the time I'd be going (mid-November).
    I would appreciate any comments or suggestions! Thanks again.

#4 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 23:15

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I would say stick to as few places as possible, if you're not wanting to spend a lot of time travelling you're going to have to restrict yourself, and that means you can get to know each place a bit better, so I'd stick with the first 4 but be flexible cause you never know what you might fancy or hear through word of mouth.

As for Thailand, I think 2 weeks is long enough, you could spend about 2-3 days in Bangkok and do pretty much everything, then 4-5 days in Chiang Mai depending on what you're wanting to do there, then go and relax on an island for a week. If you can fly from Vietnam to Chiang Mai direct I'd recommend that because it would be an easier way to travel from the North down to Bangkok then further down to Krabi. I would also recommend overnight trains to save on accommodation costs and so that you're not missing a day of your trip.

#5 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 00:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.