Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

HCM city and onwards...

• loumichael

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I will be flying in to HCM on the 29th October for two weeks. We are conscious after reading all the posts on here not to try and take on too much of a big country so have decided to head south from HCM. Initial thoughts are to take the costal route down (this is where we are struggling) and around to get the ferry to Phu quoc for some chill time and then make out way back via the inland Chau doc and Can tho route back to HCM.

we are keen to be as indepandant as possible and find a happy medium between, sights, relaxing and travel.

This will be our fist time in asia, so are really keen on any top tips and little gems that people are willing to share. Unfortunately we only have two weeks , as im sure people will come back saying we need longer!

Thanks in advance.

Lou

#1 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 16:52

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hi,

It's a good choice to select only 1 area to visit. Just a few remarks/questions:

- There is no coastal road in the Mekong delta. Even if there were it wouldn't be that great. There is lots of silt and mud from the river and you have to realize that the Mekong delta is really a delta with hundreds of big and little rivers reaching the seashore. It makes the water brown and it's almost impossible to make that many bridges there crossing so many waterways.

- Given the above I'd recommend you choose an 2-3 day excursion from HCMC. Assuming that you want to spend roughly a week on Phu Quoc I guess that a full week in the delta would be a little too long since you have to backtrack mostly. It's a great area and I love it but for first-timers probably 3-4 days is enough if you can not really see and appreciate the small differences per local area because everything will be new to you.

Would recommend to spend a little longer in Ha Tien. Most people just go there to catch the ferry to Phu Quoc but it has some sights worth exploring and a very wide deserted beach. Very few tourist facilities besides some decent hotels.
    The only travel agent there is very pushy and can not be fully trusted. Just be weary. Most things can be organised through your hotel as well.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 19:46

• loumichael

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

thanks for your advise, its been a great help and reassured me that we are doing the rights thing! have you been to the con dao islands?

Lou

#3 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 16:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Saigon is a huge city too - so you will doubtless eat some time in and around those environs. But your basic idea to have a rough plan as oppossed to a rigid one with fixed dates is, I think, the smart way to go.

#4 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 16:45

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I have been to Con Dao but that's 3 years ago (I saw your post regarding Con Dao).

It's my favorite island in the region but it's not the standard typical tropical island. If you use the search-function on this website you can see some of my recent posts about the island.
    It would make an interesting trip for you from HCMC if you fly (not that the boat is a serious option) but the island is not for everyone's taste.

#5 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 16:47

• loumichael

Joined Travelfish
    24th August, 2011

I have had a really good read through all of the post, and they have given me a great insight in to Con Dao. you have posted alot of great stuff, thanks for sharing and making our travels much more informed!

I will report back!

#6 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 17:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.