Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to Tam coc

• lindistar

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2011

Hi,
    We are going to be in Hanoi in January and would like to visit Tam Coc for the day. Is it easy to do this independantly or is it easier to be part of a tour? I've read that entry is 30,000dong and boat fare is 40,000dong, and thought about getting a taxi there. How much would that be roughly for my partner and I? We used a taxi like this alot in Malaysia and it wasn't too expensive,we hired the driver for the day. Can we do the same with Hanoi taxi drivers, or are we likely to get ripped off!!
    Can anyone recommend a good driver, or a good tour company, that won't rip us off?
    Thanks

#1 Posted: 5/10/2011 - 21:21

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi. It's certainly possible to do it on your own for a day trip but might be one of those trips which is worth booking onto a tour for as there's a lot of travel involved and if you only have one day it would save you the hassle. I'm afraid I can't recommend any tours but it'll be about $25. Try to get a tour including a bike ride if you can - the countryside is lovely,

If you decide to go it alone, you can get the bus (about 2 hours - details on this site) or train to Ninh Binh and then take a taxi from there - or find somewhere in Ninh Binh to hire a bike and cycle out. It is also possible to hire a car with driver for the day - see more here http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/hanoi/2011/07/19/hiring-a-car-in-hanoi/. That would probably be cheaper than taking a taxi but is still going to be more than doing a guided tour if there are only two of you.

#2 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 11:06

• onlinetrave-
    lvie

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2011

Hi,
    To my experience, you should join a day tour to Hoa Lu, Tam Coc. Only when you would spend a night in Ninh Binh or Tam Coc, should you independently do this. There are 02 ways to travel from Hanoi to Ninh Binh, by day train or by local bus ( at Giap Bat Station). Taxi would cost more money due to that is more than 100km from Hanoi to Ninh Binh.
    There are many tour companies offering this tour, costing around 30 USD/person, including transport, guide, entrance fee, boat fee, lunch, optional biking from Hoa Lu to Tam Coc.
    Good luck!

#3 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 11:12

• lindistar

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2011

Thanks very much for your replies. We'll most likely go for a tour, and choose one recommended. I like the idea of having a bike ride included in the tour :)
    Getting excited!!

#4 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 06:48

• Jenpapaya

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2011

it's better for you to be a part of a tour. If you want a bike tour, Active Travel Asia is a good choice.
    Good luck!

#5 Posted: 6/11/2011 - 21:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.