Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

11 Days in Vietnam - Tips Needed!

• Roonn

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2011

Hi,

I'll likely visit Vietnam for 11 days, from November 4th to November 14th (date tentative), and I know that isn't enough time for a country so rich in culture and history, but I'd like to see what I can do!

The following are places that I was thinking of visiting, and suggestions are always very welcome:

Hanoi
    - Old Quarter
    - Hoan Kiem Lake
    - Hoa Lo Prison
    - Temple of Literature
    - Ba Dinh Square

The North
    - Sapa
    - Ha Long Bay
    - Dien Bien Phu

North Central
    - Phong Nha Caves

HCMC
    - Ben Thanh Market
    - Cu Chi Tunnels

Mekong Delta
    - Can Tho

Also, there seems to be quite a few National Parks and I'm not sure if they're worth visiting (given my time constraints), and if they are, which should I visit? In this trip, I'm more interested in the historical places and geographical sights, and while I'd like to experience the city life in HCMC, I don't mind leaving it out completely if I don't have time for the South.

My main queries are as to getting around:

Hanoi to Sapa - Train to Lao Cai and then Bus to Sapa?
    Sapa to Ha Long Bay - Do I have to get back to Hanoi? And if so, what's the best way from Hanoi to Ha Long Bay?
    Hanoi to Dong Hoi (for Phong Nha Caves) - I have no idea for this one!
    Dong Hoi to HCMC - Likewise, clueless here!
    HCMC to Can Tho - Bus?

Do offer your advice - thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 19:15

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

11 days, therefore stick to either (i) the North ( Hanoi , HB, Sapa ), (ii) Central (Hue, Hoi An , Danang) or (iii) the South (Nha Trang, Dalat, HCMC, Mekong Delta).

For historical places, you might like to focus on the centre, as Hue, Hoi An and Danang all have historical importance attached to them.

You are correct on how to get from Hanoi to Sapa, or you can also get a bus to Lao Cai.

Back to Hanoi for HB, if you book on a HB tour in Hanoi that will include transport.

Personally my choice would be Hanoi, Sapa and HB. Hanoi does offer a lot of history and I guess the peaks of Halong Bay and valleys and rice terraces of Sapa would qualify as geographical sights!!

Good luck.

#2 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 20:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.