Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

20 Days in Viet Nam Itinerary!

• summerstarl-
    ite

Joined Travelfish
    8th October, 2011

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Viet Nam this December. We're going to be there for about a month but since we have to visit each other family, we'll probably have about 20 days to ourselves. This is our first trip out of the country together.

My boyfriend wants to go with the flow and kinda plan as we go but I want a detailed itinerary. My schedule is really crazy so I try my best to squeeze in a little research here and there everyday. If anyone has an itinerary and willing to share it with me then it would be wonderful!!

We're starting our travel in Ho Chi Minh City and then going up north to Ha Noi. We will fly back from Ha Noi to Ho Chi Minh City and if time permits, maybe go to Thailand. Since it's his first trip, I would like for him to visit all the "tourist" places so he can see all of Viet Nam for himself. I want to go to these destinations: Vung Tau, Nha Trang, Mui Ne, Da Lat, Hue, Hoi An, Ha Noi, Vinh Ha Long, Phu Quoc Island and Sapa.

Below are a few things I would to get your inputs:
    Places to visit in and around Ho Chi Minh City?

Things to do and eat at each of the destinations above?

Any other destinations that you would suggest for us?

Should we get guided tour bus or ride the train?

Thank you so much!!!!

#1 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 13:45

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

An itinerary is good - but don't attach dates to it. Go from location to location when you feel like it. If you get through the whole thing, great. If not, no big deal. This is a happy compromise that takes pressure off. What if you get to Saigon and love it and want to stay there a few extra days? What if you get to Vung Tau and hate it and want to just move on? Don't lock yourself into a time schedule and you'll be able to enjoy your vacation at a relaced pace.

#2 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 18:05

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Personally I would skip Vung Tau altogether. It's ok for HCMC expats for a weekend break with bars and such but not really exciting for a "normal" tourist. Beach certainly isn't great but perhaps they have improved since my last visit.

Secondly I would make a choice between Mui Ne or Nha Trang. These 2 places are completely different in atmosphere. If you're looking for that it's fine but otherwise choose 1 of the two that suits your taste best.

I agree with Mac about not over planning but do see the point of having some sort of schedule because otherwise you might miss out on some things. At least keep space to be flexible. Planning 16 days of the 20 leaves you room to stay longer in a place if you like it. If you finish within the plan you can always add another excursion, either around Hanoi (Mai Chau or so) or HCMC (Mekong delta, Con Dao)

For HCMC you can do a city tour and a day tour to Cu Chi tunnels (if you're interested in the recent war history.
    Trying to fit in Thailand doesn't make much sense to me if you have only 20 days.

happy travels

#3 Posted: 9/10/2011 - 11:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
35 days itinerary (Viet/Camb/Laos) - backpacking rookie asks for help :-) ... By summerrain on 21 Jul 2009 16 4871 20 Oct 2009