Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Christmas alone in HCMC!

• theoryofhob-
    bes

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2011

Are there any spots in HCMC/Saigon or surrounding areas where Western folks and ex-pats get together to celebrate Christmas? I'll be in HCMC until December 22, and may stick around through the holiday. Would love to celebrate with others!

-Stephanie

#1 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 09:42

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Saigon has a nice little salsa scene. Might want to check that out for something to do over the holidays.

#2 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 20:01

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

If you're not into salsa dancing (but who isn't?) you can try out some of the expat bars. There are several popular ones and if you visit those on one of your first nights you can find out quickly enough what's on.

Obviously there will be some parties in the backpacker ghetto Pham Ngu Lao but that wouldn't be my choice if I wanted something nicer. There it will be just a drinking party, like any other night, but with some cheap decorations.
    If Vasco still exists (I haven't been there for some time but asume that it's still around) that would be the best place to enquire. Plenty of expats there who will know where things are celebrated.
    Otherwise check out places behind the Sunwah tower. That area is popular now with plenty of restaurants and bars.

#3 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 10:34

• DCM

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2010

Hi Stephanie,

I will be in Vietnam, likely Saigon on Christmas. Feel free to contact me if you like. It's my first time to Vietnam, backpacking for 30 days..spending xmas and new years, flying out of Bangkok.

Dave

#4 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 14:05

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Or you could download and watch this to get you in the spirit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKNrYb0s3xc

#5 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 06:40

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Hey,
    me and my wife are coming to HCM somewhere around christmas. If there's going to be some kind of meeting, count us in. Would be nice to celebrate with other westerners / english speaking people :)

Pekka
    Finland

#6 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 09:31

• HGS

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

I'll be around with my girlfriend as well!

Humberto
    Brasil

#7 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 21:32

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Nice! This might actually lead to something! :)

I've created an email address christmashcm@gmail.com (don't want to make my own email address public here) so everyone who is interested of this event can contact me and we could hook up... maybe through facebook or google+?

- Pekka

#8 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 07:49

• speckledjen

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey, I stumbled upon this thread googling Christmas HCMC! I currently work here, but I'm quite new and don't have any idea about what to do for xmas yet! I'd really love to celebrate Christmas with other English speakers too. I know hotels do really nice buffet dinners, but they can be a little pricey (for Vietnam prices... and my budget!) But I'd be happy to do some research/be the man (woman) on the ground.

Anyway, I'll e-mail the address!

#9 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 08:28

• dsapsfo1

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Hi - keep me posted on this, I'm leaving the UK 18th Dec and flying to Bangkok for a couple of days and then heading down to HCMC for Christmas, before then touring around a bit and then flying back out 13th Jan. It'll be good to see what's going on....

#10 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 09:43

• Advertisement

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

I'll be watching this post also but to make things easier, go to facebook and ask to join this group I made:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/xmashcmc/

Edit: This group doesn't require to be friends (in facebook) with me or the other members - unless you want to be. :)

#11 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 10:31

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Hmm... Can't edit my posts anymore. Please ignore #8 post (email), because it's already full of spam(!) and it's easier to communicate through this forum or facebook. There is already 5 people in the fb-group, but more the merrier - so join in!

There we can discuss the meeting point and - time etc. etc. It's also nice to see the participants beforehand. :)

#12 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 07:11

• jonny_lewis7

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2011

good chance me and my mate will be there at christmas time too so ill keep this bookmarked, see if anything gets arranged or sorted. would be one less thing to plan at least.

#13 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 04:46

• thanhhien

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

hi !!!! i'm vietnamese , my christmast in SG alone too because of my home in mekong delta , i wonder do you mind if i join in group , i just would like to make friends and know more about your culture

#14 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 20:32

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Hey thanhien!
    For my part, of course you can join. This is kinda open event and everyone's invited!
    Hmm... If there's some "requirements":
    *speak english
    *you are an adult
    *don't try to sell anything
    *come to have fun!

I think there's going to be lots of different cultures.
    If you are able to use facebook, please join this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/xmashcmc/

8 participants already in the group and I think / hope there's gonna be lots of more before christmas! :)

#15 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 05:27

• theoryofhob-
    bes

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2011

Wow!!! Thanks so much for starting the Facebook Group! I'm more excited than nervous now for the holidays :) Excited to get to know you all and spend Christmas together!

#16 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 22:23

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Well I'm glad to hear that! :) You've been added already. We now have 11 participants and hopefully the group is still growing!

#17 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 22:54

• peekel

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

This is great, looks like my previous post was answered. Since there is already a group forming, maybe we should decide to spedn Christmas in HCMC instead of Hanoi , unless we all then want to head over to Hanoi and spend it there? :)

#18 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 07:13

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Nah, it's too cold in Hanoi .
    We'll be in Hanoi 22. and fly to HCMC next day. Hook up if you decide to go there instead of staying in Hanoi. :)

#19 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 07:56

• peekel

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

We'll arrive in HCMC on the 22nd and was thinking 2 days is enough. Are you just staying in HCMC or you planning to head to Cambodia as well?

#20 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 09:40

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

Everything is open beyond 24. day. Maybe we'll visit Cambodia, Thailand or just Phu quoc. Depends on the mood (and of course the prices). :D

If you have a fb-account, join the group mentioned above. It's easier to chat there.

#21 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 12:29

• tbk3355

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just added myself to the FB group - hope to meet more people to spend my first Xmas outside home!

#22 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 04:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.