Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Where to go from HCMC?

• thewanderer

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2011

Me and my girlfriend arrive in HCMC on the 28th of November - it's the first stop of our 7 week tour around South-East Asia and we were wondering where we should visit in Southern Vietnam.

We would love to go up to Halong Bay but worry it would take up too much time, with only 7 weeks to get back to Kuala Lumpar for our flight to Auckland!

So any recommendations, regarding places to see in Vietnam, would be much appreciated.

The Wanderer

#1 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 20:30

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It would help if you listed your interests, likes and dislikes... tough to steer things intelligently if those are unknown. Saigon itself is a rather large city, and your timelines for Vietnam itself are not clear. So starting with those things would help.

#2 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 21:08

• thewanderer

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2011

Whilst we're excited to experience the 'hustle & bustle' of Saigon, we would also like to head off to some quieter locations in Southern Vietnam.

We enjoy spending time near the sea, and generally doing/seeing things we won't get the opportunity to do/see anywhere else.

We have roughly 10 nights in Vietnam I would think, give or take a day or two.

We're really open to anything people deem worthwhile. We love travelling and, as I've already said, enjoy experiencing things which are different.

The Wanderer

#3 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 21:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Then I would recommend you PM eastwest and Sayadian. They have some good experience that might be useful to you.

Enjoy your trip.

#4 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 22:12

• thewanderer

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2011

I really can't find much detail regarding the places you mentioned Madmac... what kind of things can we expect to find there?

Is there any beaches people would recommend in Southern Vietnam?

The Wanderer

#5 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 03:49

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Broadly speaking....

You could spend your 10 days in Saigon, travelling through the Mekong and spending a good few days out on Phu Quoc for the beach.

Or if you want to go further afield and / or don't fancy the Mekong or the trip over to Phu Quoc you could head north from Saigon up to Mui Ne (only 4 or 5 hours on a bus) and then inland to Dalat.

All the places I've mentioned are well covered on this site.

#6 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 08:42

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Nothing more to add to Sarah's comments.

Phu Quoc or Mui Ne would be your best bet for beaches and Dalat or Mekong delta good if you want to mix it with something else. I wouldn't make it too difficult on yourself for 10 days.

#7 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 09:55

• namthin

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

you have 10 nights in SG it means 11 days, right! those place you can go ahead
    -by road
    + SG - Me Kong (visit) go ahead to Chau Doc - 1 day - stay there 1 night
    + option 1: Chau Doc - Rach Gia take boat to Phu Quoc (there are 2 departure time to Phu Quoc: 8h00am and 1h00pm/ day) - stay there 2 nights; then back SG - may be it takes you 2 days (if yes, may be 1 day but you will be SG at night)
    option 2: SG - Phan Thiet : 3 days
    + SG - Da Lat , stay there 2 or 3 nights, back to SG stay here 2 nights and enjoy

-by air
    + SG - MK - Can Tho - 2 night
    + SG - PQ - 2 nights or Phan Thiet (by road)
    + SG - Da Lat - 3 nights
    + SG - 3 night

The End. This is my recommendation.

#8 Posted: 20/10/2011 - 11:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.