Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to Bejing

Posted by fabba487 on 26/10/2011 at 09:27

Hi there, I know this website doesn't exclusively cover China, but I managed to purchase extremely cheap flights home from Bejing and am planning on giving myself a week to get from Hanoi to Bejing after a two month trip through South-East Asian, does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this? And also how expensive China is compared to the other South-East asian counties?

Regards, Fabian.

#1 fabba487 has been a member since 19/8/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by phishsticks on 26/10/2011 at 11:56

I would say the cheapest and most fun way to get to Beijing from Hanoi is by train. There is a train that goes direct from Hanoi to Beijing http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#Hanoi - Beijing by train, but i would not recommend it. Instead I would take the train to Nanning http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#Nanning-Hanoi by train. Then from Nanning head a little north to the towns of Guilin and Yangshuo (both are really beautiful backpacker friendly towns surrounded by mountains) I would do 2/3 days for each spot . (you can read about them on wiki travel or travellerspoint). Then continue to beijing. Leave 3/4 days for beijing and make sure you make it out to the great wall (jingshanling is the best section), with a possible day trip to Chengde if your into temples or tibet (they have replica potala palace).

China can be cheap, I averaged 8-15 $ per night for accommodation. train rides will be similarly priced to vietnam. And if you avoid over tourist priced restaurants you can eat a meal for between 2-5$ . Water is dirt cheap 15cents , Beer is really cheap my guesthouse in beijing sold beer for 60cents for a tall boy. (its crappy beer though). Enjoy your travels.

#2 phishsticks has been a member since 10/10/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by johnbarrington on 26/10/2011 at 18:01

Guest houses in Beijing can be a bit depressing but they are cheap. have you looked into renting an apartment for a few days or weeks? it could work out at the same price as a guest house.

Food and transportation in Beijing is always pretty cheap though!

#3 johnbarrington has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 22

Posted by phishsticks on 26/10/2011 at 20:49

I stayed at a wicked place called "sitting on the city walls" you find it on tripadvisor or hostel world, it was about $15 a night, they had free bikes, free comps with internet and eggs and toast for 2$ breakfast.Great atmosphere, chilled (not party) in a back alley hutong, theres a really nice owner who will help you out and hook you up with all the info and travel prep you need. a little more hype place also recommended is Beijing backpackers hostel. free breakfast, down a more busy bar filled hutong. Both are good and both will do great wall tours. But book the rooms ahead, backpackers was sold out 3 weeks before and city walls 1 or 2 weeks. Both are in the heart of the old city walking/biking or busing distance from forbiden city and other sites.

If your going in the winter, beijing can be cold. If it gets too cold get yourself a $5/10 winter jacket at silk street or pearl market, theyve got every kind of knock-off and souvenir you can think of. And bargaining with them is a blast (don't pay more than 10 -15% of the original price, they're sharks).

#4 phishsticks has been a member since 10/10/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by caseyprich on 1/11/2011 at 09:38

If you're coming from Ha Long bay and Northern Vietnam (Sapa, etc.) you may not find Guilin offers the rustic charm of the karst formations that you are looking for - or have just seen. Yanghsou is a great place to visit if you're in China, but is also heavily touristed. If you aren't overloaded on karst formations when leaving northern Vietnam I'd say you coul take a train to Guilin and then head right down to Yangshou for a couple nights - maybe come back to Guilin and spend a single night there. After that, You'd probably want to fly to Beijing as I know the train from Guilin to Shanghai takes roughly 21 hours, and the train to Beijing is going to take significantly longer than that - so to save time check out www.ctrip.com or www.elong.com for cheap flight tickets. Cost is much more expensive in the eastern cities, but you can honestly eat and drink with a budget of 100RMB a day - that's something like 15 USD (5 RMB per bottle of beer, a thing of noodles running between 8-12 RMB per meal).

Accomodation in Guilin/Yangshou I recommend the Backstreet Youth Hostel (at least from 2006). Beijing, there are some nice hostels in the hutongs around the Forbidden City - the Drum Tower district is also nice.

#5 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by phishsticks on 2/11/2011 at 07:30

The train from Guilin to Beijing takes 22.5 hours you can search train timetable here

http://www.chinatravelguide.com/ctgwiki/Special:CNTrainSearch?method=1

but caseyprich is right, it might be best to just skip the 22 hour ride and take a flight. Unless you want to stop at more places in china along the way.

#6 phishsticks has been a member since 10/10/2011. Posts: 32

Posted by fabba487 on 6/11/2011 at 05:35

Thanks guys really appreciate the info, flights seem like a good idea to save some time

#7 fabba487 has been a member since 19/8/2011. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.