Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

My Itinerary

• daymouse

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2011

Ok heres my itinerary for my travels next week flying into Bangkok then over to Hanoi working my way down Vietnam and over Cambodia back to Bangkok. I arrive on the 11/11 and return flight is on 18/11.

If theres anywhere I've missed off thats a must please tell. Also where will i find decent floating markets, so far in my guide book reading about all the places below i haven't read anything about floating markets! )o:

Obviously this is defo going to change but is just a guide for me, any input would be great.

- Fly in to Bangkok and have a swim through the city for couple of days watching to for the crocs and snakes!

- Fly to Hanoi for a couple of days exploring there

- Organised trip over to Ha Long Bay spending a night or two on a Junk boat

- Back into Hanoi to catch the over night train to Sapa for the market and some trekking in the mountains for a few days

- Back to Hanoi to catch the train maybe stopping over at Dang Hoi to break the journey up and visit Phong Nha Cave.

- Hue for several days to visit the DMZ, Vinh Moc Tunnels and perfume river boat trip.

- Da Nang for several days for a ride on the back of a motorbike along the Hai Van Pass, Monkey mountain and Marble mountain

- Hoi An for several days to wonder round the old quarter, hire a bike and ride around the countryside and have a Sampan ride on the Thu Bon River

- Stop over in Quy Nho'n to break the journey up

- Several days in Nha Trang for the hot springs, snorkelling of Cau Da Island, Money Island and collapse on the beach.

- Da Lat for a couple of days rent a bike and cycle round Xuam Lake, Hang Nga, Lat Village Yok Don National Park

- About 4 days in Ho Chi Minh to see all the markets, Cu Chi Tunnels lots of Pagodas and a trip along Mekong Delta.

- Over the border to Cambodia Phnum Pehn for several days

- The several days in Siem reap

- Finally making my way over land back into Thailand for my flight home.

#1 Posted: 4/11/2011 - 18:28

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Daymouse:
    I think I've missed something, so I'm hoping there's a typo in your flight dates. Adding up the sets of "several" days, I come up with 40 - 45 days. About six times more than the week indicated by your 11/11 to 18/11 time frame.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2011 - 22:01

• daymouse

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2011

Oops haha sorry its 11/11 to 18/12 lol
    I read it back and still bloody missed the mistake!!

#3 Posted: 5/11/2011 - 05:51

• daymouse

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2011

This is what I've got on my calendar, any help where i might be somewhere too long or not enough time somewhere would be much appreciated (o:

2 days Bangkok
    2 days Hanoi
    3 days Ha long (depends on what trip i get so might be 2 days)
    3 days Sapa
    4 days Hue
    3 days Da Nang
    2 days Hoi An
    1 day Quy Nhan (overnight stop to break journey up)
    2 days Na Trang 2 days Da Lat
    4 days Ho Chi Minh
    3 days Phnum Penh
    3 days Siem Reap
    1 day Bangkok

#4 Posted: 5/11/2011 - 06:59

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Hi Daymouse:

Well, those dates sound more reasonable.

As for your itinerary, from my perspective, a week between Hue and Da Nang is an awful lot. There's not much to see in Da Nang itself. Hai Van Pass via moto can be done as your way to get from Hue to Da Nang. Marble Mountain is a morning or afternoon visit.

If you truly want to see the Mekong Delta, you might want to think about adding any days deleted from Hue/Da Nang onto the HCMC part. It's possible to travel through the delta for a couple of days and go from there to Phnom Penh. Takes a bit of arranging and prior research, but is doable. A day trip out of Sai Gon doesn't get you much. Sort of a drive-by (or float-by) experience.

Whether you spend one night or two on Ha Long Bay will depend upon what side activities you think you want to build in.

Happy travels!

#5 Posted: 5/11/2011 - 08:44

• daymouse

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2011

Glad i posted! Yup that make a lot of sense. Ive read about the Easy rider tours so that might be an idea for the trip between Hue & Da Nang.

I will look into travelling along the Mekong by boat instead of the road and will make a nice change.

Thanks

#6 Posted: 5/11/2011 - 10:56

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village

Happy to be of help. Enjoy your trip.

#7 Posted: 5/11/2011 - 11:13

• misplcednot-
    lost

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2011
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 3

Ok, so I did the organized trip in a junk boat at Ha Long and they were alright. If I were to say anything, I would go with just the 1 day. The 2 day trip you have to hike with your pack something like 5 km where you stay for the night, and it doesn't really add much to your trip. When they arrived to drop off those doing the 2 nighters, some were with kids some had giant packs and had no desire to continue on after an already long day. The one day trip you cruise around the islands, get to go kayaking for a few hours, go swimming a few hours, have lunch and dinnner on the boat and then head back. I thought it was well enough to enjoy Ha Long. Be prepared though, the junks are just that... they aren't that special and are NEVER the pictures of the boats they show you in the books.

#8 Posted: 5/11/2011 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.