Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

choosing places in V/nam

• mansinirjain

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2011

Hi, my best friend and I are going to Vietnam in Jan 2012 for 7 days only. we were suggested many beautiful places but cant understand what's practical. We love beaches and rural areas. Can you please suggest what all can be seen in this time. Hanoi Hue and Danang-Nha Trang, ha long. we certainly wish to see ha long, hanoi and at least one of the 2 beaches. rest is up for debate. please help.
    Cheers! :)

#1 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 08:15

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I wouldn't try to see more than 2 different locations with that short trip. I would pick Hanoi and Hoi An . Hanoi is the capital with the most interesting city in the country, and Hoi An is both beach and a great general tourist destination with just about everything (most popular single destination).

I suggest you book with both Hanoikids and Danangkids for their free student-run tours - really first rate and you meet wonderful people too!

#2 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 12:14

• MotHaiBa

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Agree, wouldn't consider more than 2 places for the time you are proposing. If you are coming into Vietnam through Hanoi , then by all means check it out. If you haven't yet committed to your port of entry, you might want to think about the weather - it gets pretty cool and miserable around Hanoi at that time of the year. So you could come into VN through either Saigon in the south or even Danang. Danang doesn't have as many options as the other two but it does get you straight to Hoi An, and the beach, as well as the countryside.

#3 Posted: 7/11/2011 - 16:03

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

You could probably, at a bit of a squeeze, see Hanoi , HB and Sapa in one week. If you got your connections right and didn't mind a couple of nights of broken sleep, i.e. bus arrives back in Hanoi from Sapa at 4 a.m. and then you head on to HB 3 or 4 hours later, it prob would be doable and would give you a reasonable flavour of Northern Vietnam.

You could also do Saigon and the surrounds, incl. a 3 day Mekong Delta tour with homestays and a day at the tunnels, with 2 days in Saigon.

Good luck!!

#4 Posted: 8/11/2011 - 05:25

• mansinirjain

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2011

thanks for the replies everyone. i think it made more sense for us to stick to north vietnam. so we're thinking hanoi, halong and anything else nearby.
    i suppose saigon side will have to wait till next time. though would appreciate if someone knows beautiful beaches near hanoi. our flight's out of there and no point going to danang only to come back given our limited days.

#5 Posted: 8/11/2011 - 05:38

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I think you should forget about the beach if you stick to the north. Beaches in the north are not really worth it and much better in the south.

Go with the above suggestions of Hanoi and Halong but rather than Sapa I would opt for Mai Chau. Beautiful valley with rice fields and much easier with regards to travel from/to Hanoi. Trying to squeeze in Sapa, although beautiful, can be very tiring and perhaps doesn't do justice to the place in such a short time.

#6 Posted: 8/11/2011 - 09:31

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Certainly wouldn't disagree with eastwest's suggestion. Have never been to Mai Chau but it looks nice, and certainly similar to Sapa, and at only 80 miles away you'll be a lot fresher after arriving there than Sapa, particularly if you only have 36-48 hours to spend there.

#7 Posted: 8/11/2011 - 09:42

• esas

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

You should come to Ha Long Bay, this is a beautyful place in Vietnam. I and my family have a tour at this place on next vacation.

#8 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 04:55

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

The places you want to see in the North are good choices. The best weather however, in Janruary can be expected in the South.

Having said all of that two places is about the max for 7 days.

#9 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 20:47

• Jenpapaya

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2011

On Jan, the weather is so cold for beaches. I choose Hanoi, Sapa.

#10 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 21:02

• Advertisement

• Angelia_Ngu-
    yen

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2011

Agree with Jenpapaya, in January the weather is not suitable for beaches, may be Sapa is a good choice. You may see snow there. It's very beautiful

#11 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 21:06

• mansinirjain

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2011

Thanks every one. Hanoi-Ha long it is. ha long looks too beautiful to miss.
    i love the internet!

#12 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 21:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.