Vietnam forum

Must-sees in Northern Vietnam?

• jacquelineh-
    ope

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi,

I'm going to be in Vietnam for 22 days in March 2012 with my family and was wondering what people would recommend to see/visit in Northern Vietnam (north of Hue) I have a pretty good idea of where to go in the south (Hue, Hoi An, Nha Trang, Da Lat, Saigon) as I've travelled through the south before. Mum wants to go to Ha Long Bay and we are flying into Hanoi so that is probably four-five days of our trip gone.

Thanks
    Jac

#1 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 21:10

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey Jac,
    How much time do you have to spend in the North? Aside from Hanoi and Halong Bay (which IMO is one of the most beautiful places on this planet) I would recommend a stop in Sapa. I stayed there 3 nights and did 3 different treks and loved it. My experience in Vietnam is limited as I've only been there once...
    Be wary of any hotel that attaches their keys to big chunks of wood! I felt it was too large to carry and left it at the front desk for the day... I returned back to my hotel to find my backpack much emptier than I left it. Lesson learned...
    I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and safe time.

#2 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 21:46

• jacquelineh-
    ope

Joined Travelfish
    7th November, 2011
    Location Australia

We would probably have time to visit one place in the north other than Hanoi and Ha long Bay. I was thinking Sapa but wanted some opinions.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 22:21

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

I suggest you have three options: 1. Sapa 2. Mai Chau 3. Ninh Binh
    2. and 3. can be done by booked tour from Hanoi
    Google - and see what interests you

#4 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 05:05

• johnkazy

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you never been to Halong bay, please make your trip there with staying in a private beach bungalow nearby Cat Ba island like Sandy Beach bungalow, Monkey Island Resort bungalow or Viet Bungalow. These places have less tourists and water is very clean.

#5 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 06:46

• arialsabrina

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you would like to travel independently, I give you this option for your reference

The best places you should come : Hanoi -Halong- Sapa 6 days 5nights

Day 1 : Good morning Hanoi
    Day 2 : Hanoi – Halong bay
    Day 3 : Ha Long Bay – Hanoi
    Day 4 : Lao Cai – Sapa, trek to Ta Van village
    Day 5 : Sapa travel around and night train to Hanoi
    Day 6 : Hanoi departure

Hanoi - Capital of Vietnam (must - see) (center)
    HaLong - new Seven Natural Wonders of the World (must - see) (sea)
    Sapa - enjoy the colorful markets and people who is unique in the world (must - see)(mountain)

#6 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 03:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.