Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

2 weeks itinerary in Vietnam - advice needed

• blimunda

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011
    Location Portugal

Hello,

I've been reading for quite a while this amazing website and I am here to see if someone can help me with my itinerary. I will have 3 weeks vacation in May and it will be my first visit to Vietnam. I would prefer to dedicate 2 weeks to this country and then the last week in Krabi Beach/Koh Samui (yet to be decided) or some other place with very nice white sandy beaches just to relaxe after all I'll be doing the first 2 weeks of my itinerary.

Your advice would be very much appreciated concerning how I should split my time and also if you have any suggestions regarding the one night 2 days tour to Sapa or if maybe I can spend more days in one place more than another. Places I really want to see: Hanoi and Ha Long Bay, Hoi An , Mekong Delta, nice train trip from the north to the south in the reunification line but avoiding the overnight stays in a train, and I really want to rent a bycicle because it is one of the things I love the most and just visit citys or places this way. I don't mind missing big touristy places if it means me having more time to spend walking around absorbing the culture and what I do care about is eating well.

I have also a good hotel deal at Nha Trang but I don't know if it really interesting for me to go there. I don't care about night life (for me that means sleeping) and I just want to visit beautiful places and taking my time in them.

Is it enough time in each place? Do you recommend any specific tour operators for Sapa and Ha Long Bay? If there are threads with these answers just direct me to them I don't want to be a bother asking always the same questions. Now for my itinerary and thank you in advance [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Day 1 - 13 may - Paris – Kuala Lumpur arriving at 6am
    Day 2 - 14 may - Kuala Lumpur one night
    Day 3 - 15 may - Kuala Lumpur – Hanoi with AirAsia arriving around 9am
    Days 3, 4, 5 - 15-18 may - Hanoi
    Days 6, 7 and 8 18-20 may - overnight train to Sapa and 1 night in Sapa plus overnight train back to Hanoi
    Day 8 - 20 may - 1 night in Hanoi
    Day 9 - 21 may - flight from Hanoi to Hue arriving at 7am + day trip train from Hue to Danang from 11am to 2pm + visiting Hoi An and overnight stay
    Day 10 - 22 may - Hoi An taxi to Danang airport to Ho Chi Min with Jetstar
    Days 10 and 11, 22 – 24 may - 2 nights in Saigon
    Days 12 and 13 - 24-25 may - flight from Ho Chi Min to Singapura with Tiger Airways and 2 nights stay in Singapura
    Day 13 - 26 may – flight Singapura to Krabi with Tiger Airways
    Days 13 to 20, 26 may to 2 june - beach 8 nights
    Day 21 - 2 june - fly back from Krabi to Kuala Lumpur to Paris (flight at 11pm)
    I've added nights at Kuala Lumpur and Singapore because I don't know those places. Do you thing it is worth it? And how many nights?

#1 Posted: 17/11/2011 - 06:13

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You sure don't give very much time for Vietnam, and the time you give is all broken up rushing from one place to the next. Vietnam is not a small country and deserves much much more time. No, it's not worth doing it the way you've outlined.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 12:41

• blimunda

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011
    Location Portugal

Thank you! You are absolutely right, I am not really very good at this itinerary thing. I've been reading guides and this and other websites and I'm going to change everything, I'll stick to the North and centre and I'm not going to Saigon nor Singapore, that way I'll have 2 weeks in total to dedicate to the North of Vietnam down to Hoi An. Would that be more feasible?

Thanks again for the honest reply.

#3 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 12:54

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Two weeks in the north is much more realistic. I think you have enough time for a short visit to Hanoi , Ha Long Bay, Sapa and Hoi An. Keep in mind that to get to and from Sapa from Hanoi will take the better part of a day/night as will Hanoi to Hoi An.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 14:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

My suggestion would be to consider skipping Singapore and Krabi , and add that time to Vietnam. You can get your 'beach fix' in Vietnam. One option is Nha Trang which you were looking at - but to be honest, I was underwhelmed by it. There is supposed to be a pretty good beach not far from Hoi An (maybe 5-6km away?) - one that I regret not visiting during my time there. Mui Ne is another option as is Phu Quoc much further south.

By skipping Krabi, you will save significant costs and reduce your travel time by 2-3 days. And this will give you a much better experience in Vietnam. Why are you going to Hue - you haven't allowed ANY time to see anything there. And only one day in Hoi An? Actually it looks like less than a day...

If you really want to get to Krabi, then skip Hue and flight direct from Hanoi to Danang if you can, and skip out HCMC. Reduce your time in Krabi and add an extra day or two to your time in Hoi An.

#5 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 14:55

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Also - have you seen the travel planners on this site:
    http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/vietnam-hanoi-to-saigon

Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you will see a useful table of travel times between locations. That will give you a good idea of how much time you can expect to be sitting in a bus or whatever. Then add another couple of hours of waiting time, checkin/checkout times at your accom, and then a bit more waiting time.

#6 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 14:59

• Huetourist1

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
    I see that your draft is so rush. The following is my suggestion:
    Day 1 - 13 may - Paris – Kuala Lumpur arriving at 6am
    Day 2 - 14 may - Kuala Lumpur one night
    Day 3 - 15 may - Kuala Lumpur – Hanoi with AirAsia arriving around 9am - free time & city Ha Noi
    Day 4 - 16 may - Ha Noi - Ha Long. Overnight on board
    Day 5 - 17 may - Ha Long - Ha Noi
    Days 6 - 18 May: Ha noi city - overnight train to Sapa and 1 night in Sapa plus overnight train back to Hanoi
    Day 7 - 19 may: Sa Pa visiting minority village
    Day 8 - 20 may - Sa Pa - take night train back Ha Noi. overnight on train
    Day 9 - 21 may - flight from Hanoi to Hue arriving at 7am + city Hue (because it isnot comfortable to arrive Hue and leave to Da Nang and Hoi An )
    Day 10 - 22 may - Hue to Da Nang - Hoi An
    Days 11- 23 may - Hoi An visit
    Days 12 - 24 May: Hoi An - take flight to Ho Chi Minh & city Ho Chi Minh
    Day 13 - 25 May: 25 may - flight from Ho Chi Min to Singapura with Tiger Airways and 2 nights stay in Singapura

By this draft you can see everything at place you arrive. With your suggestion, you arrive Hue and Hoi An but you don't have time to see and visit these cities. This will waste your journey when spend flight to here.

For more questions, you can send email or chat with me

#7 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 21:20

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

I agree with busylizzy - some of the stops you're making aren't worth doing as you're not actually spending any time there e.g. Hue / Danang / Hoi An . Your time allowed in Hanoi / Sapa is realistic but where does Halong Bay fit in there? It's worth thinking about how you fit this in your schedule and whether you want to go for 2 or 3 days.

Re Hue / Danang / Hoi An - are you going there for any specific reasons? Have a read about each place on this site and decide if you want to stop there or not. As busylizzy says, if you're interested in Hoi An anyway then you could use that as your beach time - although note that staying on the beach there is very expensive so you'd probably want to stay in town, which might not meet your relaxing beach requirement.

Also, you mentioned the Mekong Delta but haven't really allowed enough time in HCMC to cover that - unless you just want to do a day-trip. Eek, I've run out of time to write any more but I think your main considerations should be where to do the beach bit and which places in Vietnam are your priorities.

#8 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 23:02

• vietnamvisi-
    t1

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Hi,
    Do you have decision of your trip inVietnam or not ?
    For the 2 weeks in the North to Hoi An you can spend your time to visit Ha Noi, Sapa, Ha Long bay, Mai Chau & homestay, Cuc Phuong national Park, Van Long nature reserve, Hue, Hoi An, My Son.
    If you need information of brieft itinerary as well as services, feel free to answer me. I will help you.
    Or can send to my email: cuontheochieugio181@yahoo.com

#9 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 04:27

• blimunda

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011
    Location Portugal

Thank you very much to all of you for the detailed responses. I have actually decided to leave Vietnam for the next vacation and not this one after all. Last April I went to Thailand in a backpacking two weeks vacation which was just perfect and next May I'll be going to Indonesia instead and spend my three weeks over there.

I thought about what you said and I read a lot, really a LOT, of things about all the countries in SE Asia that I want to visit it I since I really want to spend at least one week in a nice beach, there was no point in rushing from the north to the south of Vietnam to save one week for the beach in Krabi . And I've read here that late May there's a lot of rain in Krabi as well, also I feel there is no logic to go to Vietnam only to end the vacation again in Thailand. This was also due to the fact that I absolutely loved Thailand but you are right and Vietnam deserves full attention.

I also read the itineraries you mentioned, busylizzy so thanks again that helped quite a lot.

I will be posting my new itinerary to Indonesia so if someone could help me over there that would be very much appreciated. Please be nice! I already (but only) bought my flight from Paris to Kuala Lumpur so I still have quite a few options open for this itinerary.

Thank you all!

#10 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 05:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
2 weeks in Vietnam!! advice needed ... By DeviouslySweet on 3 Jul 2011 6 3606 8 Jul 2011
Budget advice needed! 4 weeks yunnan, vietnam and thailand ... By s0908946 on 14 Mar 2011 0 4432 14 Mar 2011
Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :) ... By reneejordan on 5 Nov 2010 8 19809 6 Mar 2011
itinerary advice for 2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand ... By jztravels on 22 Feb 2010 4 4518 24 Mar 2010
3 weeks in Vietnam/Cambodia- itinerary advice! ... By junebug on 12 Sep 2012 4 3536 20 Sep 2012
4 weeks Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia - Itinerary advice ... By ibon on 19 May 2009 3 7035 21 May 2009
Couple travelling Indonesia for x2 weeks advice needed ... By slow_mo on 16 Jan 2013 7 1518 29 Jan 2013
7 weeks Indonesian rough itenary. Advice needed thanks! ... By CoolOperator on 19 Jul 2014 2 345 19 Jul 2014
Itinerary advice needed - please help! ... By greeneyes1983 on 3 Apr 2012 3 1182 3 Apr 2012
Advice needed for Laos itinerary ... By Klozknitz on 20 Dec 2012 10 2075 2 Jan 2013