Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Phu Quoc to Siem Reap by bus or air?

• WILLIAMS5

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

What would be the best bus route to make this journey? Would you do it in one day or need to break at PP?

Also .. is it cheaper to purchase domestic air tickets in Vietnam. We are travelling in January 2012 (peak season) so want to know if we should secure flights before we leave if really necessary.

#1 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 14:14

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

There are basically 3 routes you could consider overland but none of them I would try to attempt in 1 day, which would be madness given the number of transport changes and times.

Given the fact that you are bound by ferry times, and therefore can't choose a very early start, it's virtually impossible.

Assuming that you have visited HCMC earlier in your trip I would exclude the route via HCMC although that would be the most straightforward route.

The alternative routes would be something like this:

via Rach Gia-Chau Doc-PP-SR
    - ferry to Rach Gia, bus to Chau Doc, boat to PP, bus to SR

via Ha Tien-Kep-PP-SR
    - ferry to Ha Tien, bus to Kep, bus to PP, bus to SR

For both routes a stop in PP is almost mandatory and can only be avoided if you consider a long private taxi ride for a long stretch of the route.
    Even reaching PP from Phu Quoc might not be so easy in 1 day.

Good luck

#2 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 21:17

• WILLIAMS5

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Thanks for the heads up. I think we will need to fly. Do you know if flights are cheaper to purchase once in Vietnam or same if bought prior to arrival online?

#3 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 01:10

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Sorry, I can't help you there. I have never booked those flights online but know that they are pretty cheap when you buy locally.

However, international flights will most likely go via HCMC. You can approach it as two separate tickets or try to book both with Vn airlines.

If I were you I'd look online if you can find a good deal for HCMC to Siem Reap. The Phu Quoc to HCMC flight can be done locally.
    Depends off course on when you intend to go. In peak/high season it might be hard to obtain a ticket.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 01:25

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

January 2012 is not only high season,it's Tet (Vietnamese/Chinese New Year) around the 23rd January.Unless you book flights now,it will be impossible to do so at short notice during this period.All travel in Vietnam at this time is difficult.You can book online for the flight PQ-Saigon and it would be advisable to do so as soon as possible.

#5 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 00:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap to Phu Quoc via PP ... By bretandgerri on 10 Jan 2010 7 4425 16 Sep 2010
To Phu Quoc from Siem Reap ... By zmerchant on 12 Jan 2007 7 11999 6 Oct 2014
Siem Reap to Phu Quoc ... By dhs64 on 19 Oct 2011 0 2038 19 Oct 2011
Siem Reap to Phu Quoc ... By daibutt on 11 Apr 2011 0 2581 11 Apr 2011
Phu Quoc to Battambang / Siem Reap ... By djkeith on 9 Jan 2012 0 1633 9 Jan 2012
Phnom Penh or Siem Reap to Phu Quoc ... By lucyhudson on 25 Nov 2006 4 3210 28 Nov 2006
Phu Quoc - Siem Reap Overland- fast & cheap! ... By Isobel_123 on 9 Jan 2009 1 3536 9 Jan 2009