Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam for 3 full days

• rukiasan

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

Hello guys, i just happen to bump into this forum and so far, its been helpful ....however, I'm wondering any of you can recommend/advise on what we can do in only 3 full days of visit in Vietnam..i know it's tooooo short but I do intend to go back. but for now, I wanted to just have a little get-away anyway with my husband.

I read about Hoi An being preferred more than Nha Trang? Im beginning to be more interested with the idea of old town + culture + beach in Hoi An so, I'm wondering if our travel time is enough coming from Saigon, arriving at night. And how do we go there actually? I wanted to really try via train. Is that even possible? =)

Our arrival is this coming thursday, Nov 24 --- and depart back to Singapore on the 28th morning.

Hope anyone can enlighten my now panicking mind. Hehe
    Appreciate it a lot if anyone can reply back any helpful info. Great thanks! =)

#1 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 07:14

• Advertisement

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

As you only have such a short time I'd recommend Hanoi . Hoi An is lovely, but firstly, you would have to fly from HCMC to Danang and then take a taxi (the train takes about 20 hours from HCMC so you won't want to do that!) and so you're going to waste a lot of your precious time with connecting flights and secondly, the weather's not so great in Central Vietnam at this time of year anyway. So maybe save Hoi An for when you have a bit longer and the weather's better. The weather in Hanoi is wonderful at the moment, you can fly direct from Singapore and there's plenty to keep you occupied for 3 days. If you don't want to spend 3 days in a city and don't fancy Halong Bay for a day (it is a rush) then you could maybe do a day trip down to Tam Coc.

#2 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 09:29

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Last time I checked, Silk Air has a direct flight from Singapore to Danang. I say direct, because I'm not sure if it stops in Cambodia first or not? Hoi An vs Nha Trang - well, I like Hoi An because it's a small place with great food/hotels while NT is much larger with much drinking and partying + crime and all that goes with it and not especially good food. Right now, Hoi An is still drying out from the annual flood.

Personally, I think 3 days in Hanoi would be really fun.

#3 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 13:27

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I agree that Hoi An is preferable to Nha Trang, for what it's worth. But getting there might be a problem if you've only got 3 days without wasting time in airports and taxis.

However, if you're intent on going, Air Asia also fly from KL to Danang too, if that's of any use.

Unless you can fly direct to Danang, I think Hanoi would be the better option for 3 days. It's a fascinating city, and there is more than enough to entertain you there for 3 days.

#4 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 14:59

• rukiasan

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2011

oh no, guys thanks for the thoughts..i forgot to mention we already got tix and will land in saigon :( i jst realized how i wish i bought tix direct to hanoi ...

so i guess no choice but get around saigon only with our 3 days huh? or try nha trang/mui ne?

#5 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 17:05

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's still a long way to Nha Trang.

Maybe spend the time in the Mekong Delta area (Can Tho, etc). That will be minimal travel, interesting and something outside the big city.

#6 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 19:14

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11

Posted from within Vietnam.

Yeah, I agree. A day or two out in the Mekong would be an interesting break from city-life. Not that Saigon hasn't got enough to keep you occupied for 3 days, but you're coming from a city so maybe you want a bit more of a change. Mui Ne is still 4 or 5 hours from Saigon but if you're desperate for beach it might be worth considering if you can hire a car / taxi and do it in a bit of comfort.

#7 Posted: 20/11/2011 - 21:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.