Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Booking flight Hanoi-Bangkok

Posted by Ronald on 4/12/2011 at 08:30

Dear all, we wish to book a flight from Hanoi to Bangkok for January 2nd, but are wondering if it is best to book it upfront or last-minute in Hanoi. The problem is that there will be a slight chance that we won't make it to Hanoi and I don't want to spend money if it's not really necessary.

So my question is: will there be a chance -being high season around Christmas- that flights are fully booked or will have dramatically higher rates? And is it better to book online or through local travel companies?

Thanks in advance for any of your experiences!

#1 Ronald has been a member since 4/12/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/12/2011 at 00:05 admin

You'll most likely get a seat (as long as you are a little flexible, but fares will be higher than what you'd pay now. I've flown Bangkok to Hanoi for as little as $40 (booked three months in advance with AirAsia) and as much as $380 (booked two days before flight, with THAI from memory).

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by danielleandmike on 7/12/2011 at 23:02

we was going to book in advance but decided to wait...best decision yet! we ended up staying in vietnam an extra week. flight had only chnaged about £5 in 2months1 xx

#3 danielleandmike has been a member since 6/4/2011. Posts: 19

Posted by svendj on 8/12/2011 at 03:14

Booked a flight in Hanoi with Air Asia 2 days before departure for about € 50.
No need to book in advance but I don't know the prices during Christmas season.

Booked this at the Air Asia company near the northern lakeside in Hanoi. prices were the same as on the internet...

#4 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by peuge on 11/12/2011 at 02:40

Check skyscanner.com. The cheapest return flights were around 150€ (~$190) by qatar airways. That is all inclusive, so no fees for baggage or other hidden fees. No matter what company you use, there is some airport tax in BKK.

#5 peuge has been a member since 8/11/2011. Posts: 15

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.