Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi; Sapa; Halong Bay - weather in February?

• JenHarley

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2011

Quick question. Does the weather in February have a massive impact on activities etc (particularly in Halong Bay and Sapa)? Have been reading a few posts stating it is really cold this time of year in those places but I am still very keen to go.
    Should I just brave the cold and head out anyway? Are Jeans and a long sleve top/rain coat enough to keep the chill away?
    Thanks all,

#1 Posted: 6/12/2011 - 03:06

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

The real problem will be Sapa , but it's not all that bad, and weather changes all the time. Snow is rare in Sapa, but it does happen. By all means go - it's well worth the effort. If you're talking the first week or 2 of Feb, the Tet crowds will still be around.

Very hard to tell you about your clothing needs. I suggest you bring layers of clothing so you can add or peel off as needed. Normally, fog is the problem up there. Just keep an eye on the weather services so you can alter your plans if the train track floods out or something like that. There are stores in Sapa that sell outerwear for Western sized people these days as well as boots. Sapa is the most beautiful spot in VN whether it be winter or summer - don't miss it. I suggest you pre-book a hotel and have that hotel meet your train. I usually go on the Livitrans train carriage (Sapaly is the newest one and very good).

Halong and Hanoi will be cool with occasional fog, but certainly not really cold.

#2 Posted: 6/12/2011 - 14:17

• JenHarley

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2011

Great thanks! Will be travelling light but will pack a few warmer things, particularly for Sapa. We are still to decide whether we are doing Vietnam first (for around 3 weeks) or bangkok and cambodia (for about 13 days) but its likely we will be in Vietnam during tet. Not sure where we will be but i understand travel and accommodation during tet is pretty difficult. Hoping we are lucky with both these things!

#3 Posted: 7/12/2011 - 01:37

• Angelia_Ngu-
    yen

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

The Vietnamese Tet will be on Feb 22 to Feb 27, highly recommend you consider carefully during that time because most of services will close down

#4 Posted: 7/12/2011 - 02:59

• amandajocky

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2011

During your time travelling is Viet Nam winter, so the weather will be cold with moonless, so remember to take the warm coat with you, and do not forget Tet holiday in Viet Nam, during about 1 week, it will be hard to buy or sell any thing, big city will become empty because everyone be back hometown with family, book your travel early, cheers !

#5 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 19:22

• amandajocky

Joined Travelfish
    26th December, 2011

During your time travelling is Viet Nam winter, so the weather will be cold with moonless, so remember to take the warm coat with you, and do not forget Tet holiday in Viet Nam, during about 1 week, it will be hard to buy or sell any thing, big city will become empty because everyone be back hometown with family, book your travel early, cheers !

#6 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 19:23

• FootprintVn

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2012

One of the best recommendations is no cotton. Cotton will not dry! You find that your jeans will get wet by merely walking in the Sapa mist. If you only have cotton to bring then being a couple of pairs of jeans, and a couple of sweaters.

Sunny regards

#7 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 22:54

• deco

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011
    Location Cyprus

Hi to everybody!!..i will be in Hanoi and Sapa in February for the first time as well..what you mean exactly cold weather?..above or below 15 degrees?..at night time?.That means no shorts?..I dont want to bring a lot of uneccessary clothing with me..if i need clothes how easy is to buy some?

#8 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 17:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Weather in Hanoi Area & Sapa in January ... By vvish on 23 Nov 2008 5 9327 10 Dec 2009
1 week in Hanoi - can I fit in Sapa and Halong? ... By Doggins on 15 Apr 2009 13 6557 10 Jun 2009
Travelling to Hanoi - halong bay - Sapa and more... ... By sn0wman on 9 Mar 2012 4 3199 12 Mar 2012
HEATED accomodation: Hanoi, Sapa, Halong Bay ... By suecatwoman on 18 Feb 2008 1 2078 20 Feb 2008
Hanoi/Ha Long Bay/Sapa doable weather-wise in November/december? ... By Seba on 28 Sep 2009 11 22187 29 Oct 2012
February weather ... By kimley on 15 Jan 2007 2 3961 15 Jan 2007
Sapa in Late February ... By chopin on 23 Jan 2012 19 3240 20 Jul 2014