Hanoi Accomodation

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I've been looking at the Hanoi Accommodation and can't really make up my mind. Budget is best - but no dorm, and want to stay North of the Lake. Anyone got a recommendation and/or contact (email) so I might make a reservation?

#1 Posted: 6/12/2011 - 20:48

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I've stayed in many many places in Hanoi , and the best of the lot is the Hanoi Art Hotel on Hang Dieu. The family room has an enormous balcony and all for about $45. a night - extremely pleasant and welcoming people at this hotel. Read the reviews at Tripadvisor - they are genuine!

They do have smaller rooms at less cost, but the very smallest rooms have no window. Location is excellent - a short walk to Hoan Kiem Lake.

#2 Posted: 7/12/2011 - 14:36

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Travelmate Hanoi Hotel
    12 Chan Cam Street,
    Hoan Kiem,
    Hanoi 00844,
    Vietnam

#3 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 04:27

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I too am bound for Hanoi, and looking for something in more of the $10-$15 US dollar range. Is there anywhere moderately comfortable that's easy enough to get to from Noi Bai airport?

I'll be flying in around 9am on Friday morning after attempting to sleep at BKK airport during a stopover so will likely be close to dead on my feet by the time I arrive.

Could probably push up my budget to twenty bucks if really have to. It's just going to be me in the room.

#4 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 08:29

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

...I'm guessing I'm best off just heading to the "Old Quarter" in Hanoi after arriving at Noi Bai .

Even though everything I've read about it suggests it's filled with some real dumps.

#5 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 08:36

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

#6 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 09:05

• vietnamvisi-
    t1

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Staying in Ha Noi you should stay at Old Quarter so that you are easy to wlak around for visiting and seeing. There are many hotels here.
    Let me know your budget of hotel you wish to stay from $? I will help you to get a good hotel.
    My email: cuontheochieugio181@yahoo.com.

#7 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 03:45

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Well, I found a place that suits my needs for twenty bucks a night - own room; I don't do dorms.

Couple of blocks south of the Hoan Kiem lake. Although the motorists seldom take their hands off the horn outside, they're almost completely muffled in here. With ear plugs you can get a pretty decent night's sleep.

Place is called Gia Thinh Hotel if anyone's interested. Info here.

#8 Posted: 17/12/2011 - 10:33

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Oh, and the internet access is absolutely fantastic, unlike EVERYWHERE in Indonesia.

#9 Posted: 17/12/2011 - 10:36

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

*whoops - make that a couple of blocks north of the lake.

#10 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 07:04

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

Cranky - I've stayed at the Gia twice already, and it's very good. Actually, I know it quite well. The cheaper rooms there have no view at all, and the rooms are tiny. I'm suggesting you opt for the rear room instead (superior grade) - considerably nicer and quieter. My friend, Anand, from Washington DC loves that hotel! The location is really excellent too, and the buffet breakfast is good. I strongly suggest you have the hotel meet your flight, as cabs at Hanoi airport are none too honest!

(Gia is pronounced as "Zia")

#11 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 17:35

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Zia eh?

Does Thinh mean anything?

Yeah, location-wise it's perfect. Lots of expat/traveler bars and haunts nearby - and some guys just across the road who whip up the best kebabs I've had in a while for just 25,000 dong.

I've got one of the rooms with a window looking onto the stairwell but that doesn't bother me. The curtain's been closed since I moved in. As long as it's relatively quiet, has hot water and good, fast wifi, I'm happy. And it does.

The one time I've made it up in time for breakfast (which stops at 10am) I found it very satisfying. The staff are almost too friendly at times, falling all over themselves to hold open the door while smiling up a storm. The boys downstairs even manage to give me a big welcome home grin when I ring the buzzer, drunk, at 5am after a few too many Halidas at that Half Noodle Half Man bar or Bia Larues at the Tet.

If I want to look at stuff, I just walk outside. The view from a room is never a make or break factor for me.

#12 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 10:32

• kylientanis

Joined Travelfish
    6th November, 2011

We stayed at May De Ville backpackers (they have 3 hotels and we stayed at the newest), it was $30 a night for a double room and was great. Best 'backpackers' I've ever stayed at, the breakfast is on the 10th floor with a view of the city and a great selection of food. We booked on hostelworld.com but i know people have come off the street and got a better rate!

#13 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 19:45

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I've been given the boot as of Friday (think they might want to get some new people in at a higher rate) - anyone have any experience with the Sunshine II hotel?

#14 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 02:10

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007

My cheap alternate is the Especen on Tho Xuong (the only good Sunshine hotel is the Gia Thinh)

#15 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 01:06

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I've been getting my clothes washed at the Especen... pretty happy with them as far as that's concerned.

#16 Posted: 23/12/2011 - 07:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.