Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Dilemma - 11 days in Vietnam (4 lost up North) - Head straight South after?

• alt

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Folks,
    Arrived in Hanoi today, and between plans getting messed up previously, only have 11 days in Vietnam.

Tomorrow we're going to stay in Hanoi and do a bit of sight-seeing. After that we're doing 2 days/1 night on a junk boat.

This leaves us with a mere 7 days in Vietnam so are going to go South. The thing is (and trust me, we're doing our best to research) we're not sure where to go from there.

We're into the outdoors, but my main interest in Vietnam would be a chance to get to know some of the (war) history etc. - see places of historical interest in this respect (if that makes any sense)

So, where should we begin? We're going to fly to waste as little time as possible. However, we don't know whether to fly into Da Nong and start from there, or whether to fly into Ho Chi Minh City and radiate from there.

If anyone can offer advise on even where to start i'd be very grateful as it will give me a base as to where to start.

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 07:52

• Advertisement

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Personally, I would stick to the North for your 11 days. Spend some quality time wandering around Hanoi, soaking up the atmosphere, sampling all the street food and chucking back some bia hoi. Great city.

Then hit Sapa and, as you mentioned, Halong Bay.

11 days is perfect for getting a good feel of these three places and allowing for a reasonable amount of travel time.

Come back some other time and do the rest.

#2 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 09:48

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I agree with Chinarocks - you'll get more out of your trip if you use Hanoi as your base and see Sapa, Halong Bay and perhaps another destination such as Mai Chau or Ninh Binh. VN is quite a large place, and you would waste too much of those 11 days in transit (besides, who wants to travel the deadly VN highways). You miss nothing by not going to Saigon.

#3 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 09:54

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

@daawgon. I have no idea what happened to you in Saigon but you seem to take every opportunity to bash it. IMO that's a bit overdoing it. There are places I don't like so much as others but I refrain from bashing because I'm aware it's a personal opinion. Perhaps you could consider doing the same.

Anyway, for recent history OP might fly to Hue and do the DMZ tour. The tunnels (I forgot the name) around there are also more genuine (at least left intact) than in Cu Chi which has become some sort of Disneyland. Also you could visit My Lai which was the scene of one of the most senseless massacres during the war. Visit Khe Sanh if you're australian

Afterwards, perhaps fly to Saigon and visit the war remnants museum, reunification palace and other sites related to the war. If you visit the tunnels near Hue you could skip Cu Chi.

If you decide to stay in the north you could visit Dien Bien Phu which was an important battleground against the French. It's not easy to get there though and since you don't seem to have budget constraints I'd say hire a taxi for 4-5 days.

#4 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 21:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A month in Laos - stay in the North or head down South? ... By christay2009 on 22 Jun 2009 33 6321 19 Sep 2009
10 days in vietnam : North vs South ? Both ? ... By robkius on 2 Jul 2010 1 4150 3 Jul 2010
Itinerary Critique - Vietnam South to North in 6 days ... By camsydt on 3 May 2013 8 2367 12 May 2013
If you had 30 days in Laos ..... (North and/or South) ... By dclayw on 17 Sep 2009 10 3668 12 Oct 2009
24 days south-to-north trip in April ... By Rahel on 21 Mar 2011 4 3297 23 Mar 2011
First time Thailand, Itenary for 23-24 days ... North, South, Bangkok ... By Aryx on 17 Oct 2014 4 393 30 Oct 2014
North to South Vietnam to BKK ... By James90 on 28 Apr 2012 9 3177 14 Jun 2012
Vietnam in February - North to South ... By dipesh16 on 27 Sep 2010 0 1407 27 Sep 2010
Vietnam in February - North to South ... By dipesh16 on 21 Sep 2010 0 1233 21 Sep 2010
Vietnam north and south itinerary 1 month help please ... By nono on 18 Sep 2014 8 631 27 Sep 2014