Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Are hotel bookings really necessary?

• MikeTV

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2011

Hello,

I'll be traveling through Vietnam in Jan.-Feb. 2012. I've booked a room my first night in Hanoi but haven't booked anything else yet. Do I need to consider booking a room ahead of time to consider the Tet holiday? How long does it last?

Secondly, Phu Quoc seems to be difficult to find accommodation as well. Do I need to book ahead in Phu Quoc to secure a 'good' place in a good location or can I wing it?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 13:42

• Advertisement

• peuge

Joined Travelfish
    8th November, 2011

I have no experience of this, but what I've read is that everything is more expensive around tet. So everything you do is depended on your budget. For example there is a dozen flights from Hanoi to HCMC daily and they just can't be all fully booked. You just probably have to pay more. And I think the same goes for accommodation.

I think it gives you a freedom to choose (and is more fun!), when you don't plan everything ahead. Just don't expect list prices on flights and hotels/hostels.

#2 Posted: 10/12/2011 - 04:23

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

PQ book for sure - can be very difficult to find anything in high season. I would also book Sapa around Tet (2 wks before and after - the Viet Kieu are usually in country then). All the rest should have some rooms, but they will probably be much more expensive.

I would disagree with peuge on transport - that might be much more difficult than rooms? Try to stay off the roads as much as possible - terrible drivers in this country. I believe bus and train tickets go first and have probably sold out by now.

#3 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 23:59

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Everything on Phu Quoc island was booked up when I was there a few Tet ago - so I would book ahead even if you are planning to stay around that time and not exactly during Tet holiday. The good places will book up a couple months in advance and you'll usually be left scampering about trying to find any bed anywhere when it comes to an island like that. A lot of people travel into Vietnam during Chinese New Year from China as they have a holiday, and even though many Vietnamese like to spend the holiday with their family, many also travel with that family.

My recent experience with Langkawi (Malaysia) was similar, I was booking tickets two months ago for Chinese New Year and a lot of the highest rated and most recommended options were already booked up when I contacted them (Malaysia has a big Chinese population that takes an extra long holiday at that time - same as Tet).

#4 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 09:04

• MikeTV

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2011

Thanks everybody!

I leave tomorrow having booked my first two nights in Hanoi, three nights in Saigon during Tet, and five nights in Phu Quoc at Mai House. During my research, I found Phu Quoc was the only place that booking really felt necessary. It was also the only place I had to secure the booking with a credit card.

See you on the other side...
    Thanks again
    MikeTV
    Portland, OR USA

#5 Posted: 2/1/2012 - 16:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.