Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Are hotel bookings really necessary?

Posted by MikeTV on 9/12/2011 at 13:42

Hello,

I'll be traveling through Vietnam in Jan.-Feb. 2012. I've booked a room my first night in Hanoi but haven't booked anything else yet. Do I need to consider booking a room ahead of time to consider the Tet holiday? How long does it last?

Secondly, Phu Quoc seems to be difficult to find accommodation as well. Do I need to book ahead in Phu Quoc to secure a 'good' place in a good location or can I wing it?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

#1 MikeTV has been a member since 6/12/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by peuge on 10/12/2011 at 04:23

I have no experience of this, but what I've read is that everything is more expensive around tet. So everything you do is depended on your budget. For example there is a dozen flights from Hanoi to HCMC daily and they just can't be all fully booked. You just probably have to pay more. And I think the same goes for accommodation.

I think it gives you a freedom to choose (and is more fun!), when you don't plan everything ahead. Just don't expect list prices on flights and hotels/hostels.

#2 peuge has been a member since 8/11/2011. Posts: 15

Posted by daawgon on 11/12/2011 at 23:59

PQ book for sure - can be very difficult to find anything in high season. I would also book Sapa around Tet (2 wks before and after - the Viet Kieu are usually in country then). All the rest should have some rooms, but they will probably be much more expensive.

I would disagree with peuge on transport - that might be much more difficult than rooms? Try to stay off the roads as much as possible - terrible drivers in this country. I believe bus and train tickets go first and have probably sold out by now.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by caseyprich on 14/12/2011 at 09:04

Everything on Phu Quoc island was booked up when I was there a few Tet ago - so I would book ahead even if you are planning to stay around that time and not exactly during Tet holiday. The good places will book up a couple months in advance and you'll usually be left scampering about trying to find any bed anywhere when it comes to an island like that. A lot of people travel into Vietnam during Chinese New Year from China as they have a holiday, and even though many Vietnamese like to spend the holiday with their family, many also travel with that family.

My recent experience with Langkawi (Malaysia) was similar, I was booking tickets two months ago for Chinese New Year and a lot of the highest rated and most recommended options were already booked up when I contacted them (Malaysia has a big Chinese population that takes an extra long holiday at that time - same as Tet).

#4 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by MikeTV on 2/1/2012 at 16:41

Thanks everybody!

I leave tomorrow having booked my first two nights in Hanoi, three nights in Saigon during Tet, and five nights in Phu Quoc at Mai House. During my research, I found Phu Quoc was the only place that booking really felt necessary. It was also the only place I had to secure the booking with a credit card.

See you on the other side...
Thanks again
MikeTV
Portland, OR USA

#5 MikeTV has been a member since 6/12/2011. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.