Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Hanoi-Hue-Nha Trang-Saigon

• danielbis

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

thinking of doing these 4 cities next may..already searched google about possible see&do, transport between locations and so on...but little help is always much appreciated.

i only have 12 days...

the plan would be like this :

Hanoi - 1 day...Ha Long Bay - 2 days

then flight to Hue...i guess 2 days would be enough

Hue - Nha Trang...not sure..some say the train trip is quite nice(at least Hue - Da Nang), but rather long...is there any nightsleepr?...but i will miss the sights..

Nha Trang - 2 days...then to Saigon...again..what is the best option?....flight or train?...or privat driver

Saigon - 2 or 3 days....

please help.

thanks,
    daniel.

#1 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 14:48

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm surprised you are skipping Hoi An over Nha Trang and Hue , but I guess it depends on what you are looking for. But then you talk about getting a train to Danang which is near Hoi An, so maybe you're not??

My suggestions:
    - Skip Nha Trang and add the time to Hanoi . Nha Trang isn't all that special and given your very limited time, it's probably the least interesting of the places that you mention, and doesn't provide much in the way of insight to Vietnamese culture, etc. It's a beach town, and whilst the beach is OK, it's not amazing.
    - Take bus/train from Hue to Hoi An and spend 2 days there (minimum). There are nice beaches near Hoi An if you need a beach-fix.
    - Go easy on yourself and Fly from Hoi An (Danang to HCMC,

Check out Jetstar for some cheap flights. Really, the cost is not that much compared to the time savings. Yes, you will miss out on some of the scenery from the bus window but you will have a better quality time in the places that you are visiting.

#2 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 15:56

• gwapo

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

busylizzy
    Great info... I am planning a similar trip in May from Hanoi to Bangkok spending about 14 days on the trip down to HCMC. Do you recommend train or bus? how flexible are the tickets as regards jumping off/on at the various cities on the way?

#3 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 21:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I spent a month doing the journey from Hanoi to Chau Doc. It was a mix of one flight (Hanoi - Hue), buses (including one sleeper), mini-buses and motorbike. I didn't take a train in the end .. for no particular reason in that it didn't fit in with plans at the time.

I also just booked it one leg at a time to ensure maximum flexibility - and had no issues in doing this. I think just about every leg that I did was organised the day before, including the flight, so there was no need to pre-arrange anything or buy a jump on/jump off type of ticket. To me, that limits your potential options. For example, a highlight on my trip was a 9-day motorbike trip that we organised once in Dalat. If I had a jump on/off bus pass, I may not have been inclined to do that trip. Doing things one leg at a time is very easy in Vietnam - and the best way to go in my opinion.

#4 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 21:53

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

busylizzy is right - MORE TIME IN HANOI - most interesting place in Vietnam! I would also see Hoi An rather than Hue (not my favorite place).

I do disagree on Jetstar - too many people have been disappointed by this airline (think major delays wasting some of those 12 days)

#5 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 12:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Fair call about Jetstar. They are known to be unreliable although the few times that I've flown them, it's been trouble-free.

Also agree with Hoi An rather than Hue . I started out suggesting that they skip both Nha Trang AND Hue but didn't want to completely sabotage their plans! Hue is interesting for a day or two if you're keen to see old temples, citadels, etc. It's an OK town - nice, but not amazing. Hoi An on the other hand is very vibrant, lively and interesting. And there's stuff you can do out of Hoi An itself (cycling into countryside, visit the beach, do trip up to Marble Mountain and Danang, fresh seafood lunch at China Beach, etc).

#6 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 16:47

• Phiddy

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Hey guys, was just wondering whether there was a more reliable alternative to jetstar as I am planning at least one flight in Vietnam. I am probably going to fly from Hanoi to HCMC with jetstar and haven't so far considered any other companies because of how cheap jetstar is... is there another company that is just as cheap and slightly more reliable? If not I'm not overly bothered, I'll just suck it up and fly with jetstar.

#7 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 10:29

• danielbis

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

many thank for advices.

the plan would be like as follows :

27th April arrive in Hanoi

day 1,2,3,4(27,28,29,30) - Hanoi
    day 5,6(1-2 may) - Ha Long Bay

i'm kinda confused here..is better to do all Hanoi days before Ha Long Bay?...the return from Ha Long is on morning or evening?..

overnight in Hanoi and flight next morning to Hue/Da Nang..which is best option if my next destination is Hoi An?

day 7,8,9(4-6 may) - Hoi An

next morning flight to Saigon

day 10,11,12(7-9 may) Saigon

from there, most likely, bus to Siem Reap, via Phnom Penh..anyone knows a better option?

#8 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 17:36

• vietnamvisi-
    t1

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Train in Vietnam isnot good as foreign. I suggest you go to Da Nang - Hoi An and spend 1 or 2 days there. Then take flight to Nha Trang
    1 day in Ha Noi
    2 days in Ha Long - flight to Hue
    1 day in Hue
    2 days Hue - Hoi An
    2 day in Nha Trang - flight to HCMC
    3 days in HCM & mekong
    1 day arrive & 1 day depart
    If you need any help you can send email to me: cuontheochieugio181@yahoo.com
    very happy to help you

#9 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 03:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.