Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Train or Air: Danang to HCM

• alljokingas-
    ide

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Is the train worth the time, or should I just fly? I'll be coming to Danang from Hanoi by train so....will it be redundant?

Actually, how amazing is the Mekong Delta? I've googled Mekong Delta/Tours but find little information that I find useful (basic itinenaries, warnings about crappy tours, the BUYMEBUYME ads, etc). What about the Delta appealed to you?

Also, I'll be heading to Cambodia after, but may bypass the Delta and bus in overnight from Danang (assuming this is possible), depending on time. How's the trip there? Quality-wise too, but time is the focus. That and potential horrors. Is there an overnight bus? Can I buy a ticket for Kampot from HCM (via a Mekong Tour) or Danang, and then go to PP (I want to spend some time in Kampot in the west)?

So many questions, so little time, so many thanks!

#1 Posted: 26/12/2011 - 23:13

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Danang to HCMC would be a very long and boring trip by train. I did it Hue to Nha Trang, and I thought it would never end. You would think there would be more to see on that track, but what there is to see is not all that interesting. The brand new airline, Vietjet, that started ops on Xmas day, might have reduced fares for DAD-SGN. Don't expect any low fares in late Jan-early Feb since everything will have already been booked for Tet.

#2 Posted: 27/12/2011 - 11:41

• tunglam

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

From Ha Noi to Da Nang you can travel by bus (seating bus or sleeping bus), train or flight.
    Train in Vietnam is so slower, it's take about 12 hrs for distance from Ha Noi to Da Nang.
    Flight: you can book your ticket at Jetstar (cheap airfare) or Vietnam Airlines. Vietjet Air have not a flight to Da Nang jet.
    From Da Nang, you can not buy a bus ticket to Cambodia. But it's easy if you are in Ho Chi Minh City . There is a overnight bus (Depart at 11PM) to Phnompenh from Ho Chi Minh City (Vi-Ca-Thai Bus).

#3 Posted: 28/12/2011 - 22:39

• vietnamvisi-
    t2

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

It is better you take flight to Ho chi Minh because teh condition and quality of train in Vietnam isnot as good as in western. After you visit Mekong delta you can take speed boat from Chau Doc to Phnompenh intsead of back Ho Chi Minh to take flight or bus to Cambodia.

#4 Posted: 31/12/2011 - 01:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Train from Danang to Hue? ... By Flymarbles on 24 Dec 2008 7 8269 31 Dec 2008
Danang train station to Hoi An ... By TerroirTravel on 16 Feb 2014 2 1557 25 Feb 2014
train Hanoi to Hoi An/DaNang on Feb 3 ... By aodily on 29 Jan 2008 1 2210 22 Feb 2008
Train from Danang to Nha trang ... By ron67 on 17 Jan 2009 1 2848 25 Jan 2009