Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Any good travel tour in Vietnam?

• longn

Joined Travelfish
    2nd March, 2007

Any good travel tour in Vietnam? Any bad one to avoid?

#1 Posted: 2/3/2007 - 06:08

• Advertisement

• cathrionas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

In HCMC we did the one day tour of the Cu Chi Tunnels and the City from the Sinh Cafe and it was very over full and consequently we didn't get time for a proper pee or lunch or to get a relaxed look at the sights. I think this may happen because they are recommended in one of the guidebooks. In Hanoi, other travelling people advised me to spend an extra $10 dollars over the budget options and I had a ball - I booked the Ha Long Bay trip through Kinh Do Paradise Hotel (a great place to stay but it is over the average backpacker budget). It was $80 for 3 days and I couldn't fault it. The weather in Ha Long Bay is often drizzly bit it is still very very beautiful.
    Have a great time.
    Cat

#2 Posted: 2/3/2007 - 08:55

• PaulSG

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2007

We bought 1 tour to Sapa with Asia Pacific Travel in Saigon for 184 usd/person. It was so terrible. The fair price should be no more than 70 usd/person. Avoid Asia Pacific travel. Their address is 30 Hang Be Street in Ha Noi and 127 Ban Co St in Ho Chi Minh city

#3 Posted: 3/3/2007 - 06:59

• CatBa

Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2007

VietNam is one of those places you don't really need a tour other than to Ha long Bay to avoid the hassles of getting there.

And book your own cruise. Tonking Travels added 10% for making a couple of phone calls - expensive calls at around USD$25!

Important things to know about when booking a cruise are: (1) Ownership of the boat-and book through them; (2) Where do you overnight - NEVER at a hotel; (3) Do they tie up with other ships at night? (movement of rats and security) (4) When does the power go off (some turn the lights off at 23.00H); (5) Who does the cooking (do you really want a seaman who works on the boat to double up as your cook?) (6) Safety equipment - emergency beacon radio, lifeboats, lifejackets.

We are using < http://tropical-sails.com > this time. Once taken, twice shy.

#4 Posted: 5/3/2007 - 00:50

• cathrionas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2006

Agree with CatBa, we had crew cook our food and it was great but some of the cheaper boats might not be so good. I got used to seeing cockroaches around Vietnam and one of my friends pointed out that there is little wrong with a healthy rat - its the unhealthy ones you need to look out for! Its amazing what you can get used to when you backpack! LOL
    I forgot to mention the Easy Riders (who tailor make tours where you go with them on a motorbike over a few days) - I didn't get to to use them but I heard many favourable reports about them.
    Cat

#5 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 13:20

• cathrionas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2006

And one other thing. Vietnam is the land of fakes - whether you talk bootleg CDs, lonely planets or tour groups. The reputable Kangaroo Cafe in Hanoi is plagues by competition opening up under the same name. Have a look at http://www.kangaroocafe.com/ for their full story.

#6 Posted: 6/3/2007 - 13:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cycling/Trekking Vietnam..Tour Operators Good or Bad? ... By star1976 on 6 Mar 2009 11 6701 30 Aug 2010