Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Any good travel tour in Vietnam?

Posted by longn on 2/3/2007 at 06:08

Any good travel tour in Vietnam? Any bad one to avoid?

#1 longn has been a member since 2/3/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by cathrionas on 2/3/2007 at 08:55

Posted from within Vietnam.

In HCMC we did the one day tour of the Cu Chi Tunnels and the City from the Sinh Cafe and it was very over full and consequently we didn't get time for a proper pee or lunch or to get a relaxed look at the sights. I think this may happen because they are recommended in one of the guidebooks. In Hanoi, other travelling people advised me to spend an extra $10 dollars over the budget options and I had a ball - I booked the Ha Long Bay trip through Kinh Do Paradise Hotel (a great place to stay but it is over the average backpacker budget). It was $80 for 3 days and I couldn't fault it. The weather in Ha Long Bay is often drizzly bit it is still very very beautiful.
Have a great time.
Cat

#2 cathrionas has been a member since 2/12/2006. Posts: 11

Posted by PaulSG on 3/3/2007 at 06:59

We bought 1 tour to Sapa with Asia Pacific Travel in Saigon for 184 usd/person. It was so terrible. The fair price should be no more than 70 usd/person. Avoid Asia Pacific travel. Their address is 30 Hang Be Street in Ha Noi and 127 Ban Co St in Ho Chi Minh city

#3 PaulSG has been a member since 3/3/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by CatBa on 5/3/2007 at 00:50

VietNam is one of those places you don't really need a tour other than to Ha long Bay to avoid the hassles of getting there.

And book your own cruise. Tonking Travels added 10% for making a couple of phone calls - expensive calls at around USD$25!

Important things to know about when booking a cruise are: (1) Ownership of the boat-and book through them; (2) Where do you overnight - NEVER at a hotel; (3) Do they tie up with other ships at night? (movement of rats and security) (4) When does the power go off (some turn the lights off at 23.00H); (5) Who does the cooking (do you really want a seaman who works on the boat to double up as your cook?) (6) Safety equipment - emergency beacon radio, lifeboats, lifejackets.

We are using < http://tropical-sails.com > this time. Once taken, twice shy.

#4 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by cathrionas on 6/3/2007 at 13:20

Agree with CatBa, we had crew cook our food and it was great but some of the cheaper boats might not be so good. I got used to seeing cockroaches around Vietnam and one of my friends pointed out that there is little wrong with a healthy rat - its the unhealthy ones you need to look out for! Its amazing what you can get used to when you backpack! LOL
I forgot to mention the Easy Riders (who tailor make tours where you go with them on a motorbike over a few days) - I didn't get to to use them but I heard many favourable reports about them.
Cat

#5 cathrionas has been a member since 2/12/2006. Posts: 11

Posted by cathrionas on 6/3/2007 at 13:29

And one other thing. Vietnam is the land of fakes - whether you talk bootleg CDs, lonely planets or tour groups. The reputable Kangaroo Cafe in Hanoi is plagues by competition opening up under the same name. Have a look at http://www.kangaroocafe.com/ for their full story.

#6 cathrionas has been a member since 2/12/2006. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.