Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Year Long SEA Journey

• oneseatrave-
    ler

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012

I'm looking to spend a year in SEA starting this fall (2012). I am currently thinking about flying into Hong Kong from the West Coast of the United States (where I'm from). From there I'd make my way to Ha Noi, Da Nang, and into Ho Chi Minh City. Then spend time in Cambodia, Thailand, come down through Malaysia, and fly home out of Singapore. I'm thinking I'd buy a motorbike in Vietnam. I plan on backpacking my way through the region.

What are the most common itineraries for such expeditions? Excluding plane tickets, what can I expect to pay for a year in the area? I plan on setting an outlined itinerary as my first step in preparations. What are your thoughts as to where I should go, where I should spend more time, and what I should be aware of while in the area.

Due to the fact that I plan to spend a year in the area, what is the most economical housing situation? Out of all the countries, where can I get a prolonged visa and live cheaply? Additionally, I want to get involved in some sort of a community.

Anything and everything helps. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 3/1/2012 - 20:34

• Advertisement

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Do your homework first, and then come back and ask the questions. There's more to Travelfish than just the forums - start reading!

#2 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 13:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.