Vietnam forum

Vietnam Visa Stuffup

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Posted from within Vietnam.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to notice, but I just had a closer look at my Vietnam visa and discovered they've short-changed me by a week.

I definitely remember applying for 30 days, and surely this is the standard length of a tourist visa, but I've ultimately been granted 3 weeks. What's the deal?

Now I'm left scrambling to figure out how not to p off immigration. As it stands, the visa expires this coming Saturday the 7th (it should have been the 14th). A woman working in my hotel said she could get it extended for another month (presumably not another 23 day month) and has taken my passport to a nearby government office. She said I should have the passport back complete with extended visa by Friday, for thirty dollars, which sounds like an outstanding deal to me.

Of course, I'm skeptical. If the visa extension is denied, I have precisely one day to vamoose outta here. This concerns me just a bit.

Should I be worried or have others successfully extended this way and for this price before?

#1 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 04:16

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Cranky - I wasn't going to reply since I don't have practical advise and I didn't want to clutter up your thread. But since you've had no replies, I'll bump it up a bit.

Bloody hell, you do get yourself into strife sometimes! That really sucks.... I've heard of this happening to others though.

Hope you get it sorted!

#2 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 22:01

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

I've never done it, but I have read that this sort of thing happens all the time, and it sounds like standard procedure to me. Even if you didn't get the extension, they'd just fine you rather than hang you!

#3 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 22:34

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Good thing lizzy bumped it up. Yesterday I was about to reply but something got in the way.

It's normal procedure and you shouldn't be worried. First visa extension is just a formality. Even the ones after that should be alright.
    I have extended many times in Vietnam and never with a serious problem.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2012 - 23:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

But why does this happen in the first place? What's the rationale with immigration shortchanging people on their visas? This is not the first time I've heard of this happening...

#5 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 01:31

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Posted from within Vietnam.

@Bizzy - I just assumed it was incompetence.

I googled this before posting here and ended up at a blog post by one adventurouskate or something where she talked about her visa expiry date being in 1900. Despite the fact it was clearly the fault of some Vietnamese government worker, the onus was on her to beg, borrow and plead to get it fixed up.

I got my passport back with the extension stamp this afternoon. This time for a full 30 days from today. For 620,000 Dong/$30 US, I was pretty pleased at how quickly and cheaply this problem was solved.

Having also read through some other TF posts elsewhere, it seemed like getting a renewal often takes way longer than the 24hrs I waited, and can be far more expensive.

At any rate there's apparently a gov't office near the main touristy area in Hue that can resolve the whole thing swiftly and inexpensively.

Thank god - now I can afford to rest up a bit longer after some of those excruciating overnight bus rides on the open ticket route.

#6 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 11:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.