Flag of Vietnam

Vietnam forum

travel between Hanoi and Hoi An, train or plane

• AWUQ

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2012

We are traveling in April/May 2012 from Hanoi to Hoi An returning to Hanoi. Your advice on the best mode of transportation would be appreciated .
    Thank you

#1 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 20:24

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

What's your budget and what's your tolerance of very long bus rides?

Go to the Planning section of this forum, 'Where to go' to see some suggested itineraries. Find the Vietnam ones. At the bottom of each you will see a grid of transport options and estimated duration.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 21:33

• AWUQ

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2012

Thank you busylizzy and Scorpion

#3 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 22:12

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you're tall (ie 6ft or more) - prepare to be very uncomfortable in the the little beds they have on the sleeper buses like those running from Hue to Hanoi.

#4 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 07:24

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Either train (I insist on Livitrans) or air (I insist on Vietnam Air), but say no to any bus or other road travel if you value your life.

#5 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 21:36

• jaclynn

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

If time is an issue and you can afford it, definitely fly! It's not that much more expensive for the time you save.

Train takes awhile, though the overnight from Hanoi-Danang (closest to Hoi An) is not a bad option as you leave about 7pm and arrive around noon. If you fly though, there's a 9pm-ish flight and you get in late at night, which is not a bad option either.

I took the trains when I was there in Nov, Hanoi-Hue and Danang-Hanoi, here's a little more about my experience: http://theoccasionaltraveller.com/2011/12/05/getting-around-vietnam-by-train/

If I had to do it again I would fly though! Vietnam roads are a little scary! I'm not sure how they drive in the rest of the country, but their city driving is definitely hair-raising.

Hope this helps!

#6 Posted: 8/1/2012 - 08:52

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

Hey.
    Myself and 4 mates were in Hoi An last March and wanted to travel straight up to Hanoi. We were going to take the train but decided to check out flights. We found flights for almost the same price as the sleeper train. They cost $47 through an Aussie airline called Jetstar. They fly from Danang which is about 30 mins drive from Hoi An. Best option if you want to save time.

Good luck.

#7 Posted: 8/1/2012 - 10:35

• AWUQ

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2012

G'day
    Many thanks for all of your kind advice.
    CrankyCarrot, I would have no problem with the "little beds they have on the sleeper buses" I am only five feet nothing.

We will now fly.

#8 Posted: 8/1/2012 - 17:00

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've actually yet to see a Westerner of any size or shape manage to get comfortable on a Vietnamese sleeper bus.

Between the constant honking, the generally unclean state of the bus and frequent disregard for road safety, it's really a horrid way to travel.

#9 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 08:02

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Second crankycarrott's comments. Train or fly if you can.

#10 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 08:47

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hue to Hanoi - train or plane? ... By dav2205 on 8 Jul 2013 1 1839 9 Jul 2013
Plane or Train? ... By Carrelas on 2 Jun 2010 4 1390 11 Jun 2010
Chiang Mai to Laos train or plane? ... By TommyKay on 12 Jan 2012 13 22649 24 Aug 2014
best way to go from surat thani to malaysia? train/bus or plane ... By matimulinaris on 22 Aug 2009 2 9622 23 Aug 2009