Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

travel between Hanoi and Hoi An, train or plane

Posted by AWUQ on 5/1/2012 at 20:24

We are traveling in April/May 2012 from Hanoi to Hoi An returning to Hanoi. Your advice on the best mode of transportation would be appreciated .
Thank you

#1 AWUQ has been a member since 5/1/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by busylizzy on 5/1/2012 at 21:33

What's your budget and what's your tolerance of very long bus rides?

Go to the Planning section of this forum, 'Where to go' to see some suggested itineraries. Find the Vietnam ones. At the bottom of each you will see a grid of transport options and estimated duration.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by AWUQ on 5/1/2012 at 22:12

Thank you busylizzy and Scorpion

#3 AWUQ has been a member since 5/1/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 6/1/2012 at 07:24

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you're tall (ie 6ft or more) - prepare to be very uncomfortable in the the little beds they have on the sleeper buses like those running from Hue to Hanoi.

#4 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by daawgon on 7/1/2012 at 21:36

Either train (I insist on Livitrans) or air (I insist on Vietnam Air), but say no to any bus or other road travel if you value your life.

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,083

Posted by jaclynn on 8/1/2012 at 08:52

If time is an issue and you can afford it, definitely fly! It's not that much more expensive for the time you save.

Train takes awhile, though the overnight from Hanoi-Danang (closest to Hoi An) is not a bad option as you leave about 7pm and arrive around noon. If you fly though, there's a 9pm-ish flight and you get in late at night, which is not a bad option either.

I took the trains when I was there in Nov, Hanoi-Hue and Danang-Hanoi, here's a little more about my experience: http://theoccasionaltraveller.com/2011/12/05/getting-around-vietnam-by-train/

If I had to do it again I would fly though! Vietnam roads are a little scary! I'm not sure how they drive in the rest of the country, but their city driving is definitely hair-raising.

Hope this helps!

#6 jaclynn has been a member since 13/6/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by humpdawg on 8/1/2012 at 10:35

Hey.
Myself and 4 mates were in Hoi An last March and wanted to travel straight up to Hanoi. We were going to take the train but decided to check out flights. We found flights for almost the same price as the sleeper train. They cost $47 through an Aussie airline called Jetstar. They fly from Danang which is about 30 mins drive from Hoi An. Best option if you want to save time.

Good luck.

#7 humpdawg has been a member since 18/5/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by AWUQ on 8/1/2012 at 17:00

G'day
Many thanks for all of your kind advice.
CrankyCarrot, I would have no problem with the "little beds they have on the sleeper buses" I am only five feet nothing.

We will now fly.

#8 AWUQ has been a member since 5/1/2012. Posts: 7

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 19/1/2012 at 08:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

I've actually yet to see a Westerner of any size or shape manage to get comfortable on a Vietnamese sleeper bus.

Between the constant honking, the generally unclean state of the bus and frequent disregard for road safety, it's really a horrid way to travel.

#9 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by chinarocks on 19/1/2012 at 08:47

Second crankycarrott's comments. Train or fly if you can.

#10 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.